How Much Do Cots Cost?
A cot is a bed that is able to be folded similar to a folding chair. Cots are perfect for traveling or camping and can also be good for an easy setup for unexpected guests.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the type, brand, quality and where you purchase one from, the prices of a cot will range anywhere from $40 to as much as $300. Children’s cots tend to be on the lower price end while tent cots and those designed for adults can cost anywhere from $100 to $250.
- Hayneedle.com, for example, offers a range of toddler and kiddie cots that cost $39 to $219. Adult costs, on the other hand, cost $39 to $279.
What is going to be included?
- A standard cot comes with a basic sleeping surface, usually made of polyester, and can be assembled in minutes without the use of tools to create a comfortable and lightweight makeshift bed. The more expensive cots come with first-class fabric and built-in tents, and they are sometimes collapsible and have a number of features that make camping or any activity a lot more convenient and comfortable.
- There are many types of cots available. The bed of a cot can be made of a few different materials and can either be drawn tight for a harder surface or loose, giving the feel of a hammock. Cots usually have aluminum or wooden frames. Cots that are made specifically for camping will usually include a built in pillow and be about one foot off the ground.
What are the extra costs?
- Buying a cot may also require you to buy an inflatable pillow which can cost about $7 to $50, depending on size and material.
- Mats, which cost about $30 to $40, can also add comfort.
- Additionally, having a cot accessory pouch, which costs around $10 to $15, can also help in organizing items.
- The cots that are purchased will not include any bedding. You may want to purchase some sort of protection for the mat as well as a blanket to pack with the cot.
Factors that influence the price:
- Quality. Cots that are made of premium materials normally cost more. The more expensive cots have breathable, moisture-wicking fabric with special coating and double-stitched seams. They will also have highly durable structures and heavy-duty steel frames, with superior mesh door quality. They may also have several additional features that not normally present at all in basic and inexpensive cots.
- Added features. Cots can be obtained in a variety of designs and features. Plain cots with basic designs are usually less expensive than those that come with additional features such as mosquito netting and a built-in tent. A basic cot costs about $40 while a cot with a built-in tent can cost up to $200.
- Capacity. Bigger cots cost more. For example, a Kamp-Rite standard size compact tent cot costs $159.99 while its double size version, which houses two persons, costs $269.99. Except for the number of people that can be accommodated, both have similar features, from the steel frame to the mesh door to the interior pockets and mesh storage hammock.
Tips to know:
- If you intend to use the cot regularly, make sure to buy one with excellent quality. This is to ensure that the cot stays usable and durable for a long time.
- When selecting an off-ground cot, check that the frame is not only durable, but is also made of lightweight materials and can be folded easily. Having one in a zippered bag is also practical. This is very helpful when transporting the cot, particularly during camping and outdoor activities.
- It may be advisable to buy a tent-ready cot with folding legs, especially if you plan to go camping and bring the cot along.
How can I save money?
- Online retailers conduct overstock sale and promos every now and then. Take advantage of discounts of up to 65% off on items on sale.
- Consider buying used cots. They are usually obtainable at half their original prices. Be sure to inspect the cot carefully to make sure they are still usable and have no major defects that can affect the overall usability.
- Compare prices of cots offered at various online sources, particularly wholesalers since they are good sources of less expensive items.