How Much Do Daylilies Cost?
Daylilies, also known as “Hemerocallis,” blossom in the late spring and throughout the mid-summer. Daylilies can be a great addition to anyone’s garden because they require low maintenance. Some of these plants have scented flowers, while others do not have. The cost of these flowers is going to greatly vary depending on how many you want to purchase, where you buy them, the season, and others.
How much is it?
- Daylily prices may start anywhere from as low as $3 to as much as $500 per plant. The price difference can be due to the rarity of the cultivar. If it can multiply quickly, the price can be low; if it is rare or has limited supply, the price goes up. You can still grow many daylilies in various cultivars which have been grown for several years already. There are plenty of nursery owners that sell this type of plant in particular.
- Typical daylilies are going to fall within the $3 to $10 price range. There are new breed of daylilies with prices ranging from $100 to $500, especially those with limited supplies.
- For a pack of 2-3 that grows as tall as a foot, you will pay a price of anywhere from $15 to $25. A little grapette daylily can cost $14 to $20 for 2-3 that grow up to 25 inches tall.
What is going to be included?
- Buying daylilies may or may not include the shipping and handling fee. The plant is priced individually and also based on the variety. Many will require a minimum payment in order to receive free shipping.
- Some dealers include the pots as well as starting feed to ensure that the flowers grow to their maximum potential.
What are the extra costs?
- The fertilizer and other things needed to grow the daylilies can be the gardener’s extra expenses.
- The handling fee of the plant is usually shouldered by the buyer, especially when you buy in fewer quantities.
- If you would like to hire a professional landscaper to plant your daylilies for you, this will be an extra cost.
Tips to know:
- Daylilies are your best investment in terms of perennial plants. Since these plants can take on any conditions, they are highly ideal for those that can give them the adequate care on a monthly basis.
- Daylilies are very easy to move around. It’s best to move them during the growing season, rather than the spring or fall time.
How can I save money?
- Find daylilies for sale at your local nurseries. You will find cheaper daylilies here since you will not have to pay the shipping cost. If you don’t have a local nursery, online nurseries such as Bloomingbulb.com is a good place to start.
- There are communities that usually host a local garden sale. This is one of the best time to buy cheap daylilies. Find a farmer’s market in your local town to find locals growers that sell flowers such as these.
- There are online sellers who may occasionally offer discounts if you purchase in larger quantities.
- You can also try to trade in for your daylilies in the neighborhood. You may exchange your daylily with theirs if you still don’t own a certain breed that they have.