How Much Do Dryer Sheets Cost?
With the presence of dryer sheets, drying the laundry has become easier and less of a hassle. Aside from softening and adding fragrance to clothes, these durable, gauze-like tissues eliminate static cling on your clothes. Scientifically, dryer sheets are coated with positively charged chemicals that rub off on the clothes in the presence of heat. With the clothes positively charged, they do not stick together. Thus, the bad side-effects of automated dry cycling are eliminated. With the help of these small laundry wonders, having a hard time on pulling clothes apart for folding is not a problem anymore.
How much is it?
- Dryer sheets are not really hard to find. They are usually sold at laundromats and are lined up in stores together with detergents, fabric conditioners and the like. They are usually priced at around $3 – $10 per pack, depending on the brand. Each pack usually has a hundred or more sheets.
- Stores such as Target and Walmart sell different brands of dryer sheets. Downy, Arm and Essentials, Bounce, Up and Snuggle among many others are sold from $6 to $9 per pack. Specific prices do not just depend on the brand and the number of sheets per pack but on the kind of dryer sheets. It is known that not all dryer sheets are created equal. Some are scented, others are made out of linen, and some claim to have different formulation that makes them more “sensitive” to your clothes and to your skin, not to mention the ones specially-formulated for consumers with environmental concerns. Target.com, for example, sells a wide array of dryer sheets from which consumers can choose.
- Consumersearch.com gives a detailed comparison on some of the top dryer sheets brands. According to the site, Bounce Original Dryer Sheets are estimated to be around $8 for 120 sheets, Gain Dryer Sheets for $6 (120 sheets), Arm & Hammer Total 2-in-1 Dryer Cloths for $5 (40 sheets), Seventh Generation Fabric Softener Sheets for $5 (65 sheets) and Method Squeaky Green Dryer Cloths for $6 (40 cloths).
What is going to be included?
- Except for the ones that are manufactured to be unscented, most dryer sheets nowadays include a fragrance that is released during the drying cycle. This is specially-formulated to coat the fibers along with the lubricants used to prevent static cling.
- As for the scents, they vary from one manufacturer to the other. Some brands mimic the odor of clothes dried in the sun on a laundry line while others prefer to stick with various botanical scents. Whatever the scent, each sheet aims at nothing but keeping your clothes smelling fresh for a longer period of time.
- The size of each sheet varies as well. However, they are usually 14 X 23 cm or 16 x 22.5 cm.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping fees. If you opt to buy online, expect to shoulder the expenses for having the dryer sheets shipped to your location. Free shipping is only offered by most online stores whenever you reach the minimum eligible order. Walmart, for instance, only offers free shipping when your order reaches at least $45.
Factors that influence the price:
- Number of sheets per pack. As mentioned, each dryer sheet pack has a hundred or more sheets on it. Walmart, for instance, sells a particular brand of dryer sheet (Bounce) with 160 sheets at $6.84. The same brand of dryer sheet with a fewer number of sheets is also sold at Target for $6.04 and the 200-sheet pack for $8.99. The prices vary considerably according to quantity. The said brand, together with many others, can be bought online or directly from the store.
- Brand. Like any other laundry products, the prices for dryer sheets are influenced by the brand. Some brands are known to be affordable than the others. As mentioned, a 160-sheet pack of dryer sheet is sold at $6.84. Compared to a brand of dryer sheet featured at Soap.com that is priced at $8.69 for a hundred sheets, it is already a good price.
Tips to know:
- Chemicals on dryer sheets also act as lubricants. These chemicals can make clothes feel softer and more flexible. Thus, clothes become easier to iron and care for. In addition, wrinkling can be decreased because the items are softer and have less static cling.
- Clever as it sounds, dryer sheets can be reused into several ways. From being a car deodorizer, to removing soap scum, to being a computer screen cleaner, there are many ways to reuse dryer sheets. Savingadvice.com features an article on “50 Ways to Reuse Dryer Sheets” and most of these are very helpful. They not only save you money but to help the environment as well.
How can I save money?
- Shop around and look for the best brands that offer higher quantity of sheets at an affordable price. Do your own math. Check if you can really save a few bucks on sheets that are priced at around $6 or you can save more money in the long run if you go for the pricier ones (with more sheets).
- Self-help and do it yourself sites in the web teach consumers to make their own dryer sheets. These methods are indeed cost-saving. Aside from that, they are easy and quick to create. Northerncheapskate.com, for instance, gives a step-by-step procedure that you can follow to make your own dryer sheets out of materials from your own home.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|