How Much Do Ferns Cost?
A fern is a type of plant that belongs to a single botanical group. There are a wide variety of ferns available — at least 12,000 species of ferns currently living. Ferns have several uses, and although these plants are not as important economically as seed plants, they are often considered a decorative plant in most countries. They can be used as food and are flexible enough to be used as biological fertilizers. Ferns are also a component for producing fossil fuel. The price of ferns depends on the type of fern, age, size and where it’s being purchased from.
How much is it?
- On average, the price of a fern is going to be anywhere from $5 to as much as $50 for a simple hanging or potted plant. The time of the season as well as the geographical location can play a factor in the overall pricing of the plant.
- Plants that can be planted in the yard can cost anywhere from $4 to $35 depending on the type. For example, the Hardy Ostrich Fern that grows up to 8 feet tall retails for $5 to $8.
- The website SugarCreekGardens.com offers several kinds of ferns. They sell everything from Ghost Ferns to Lady Ferns. The price for the ferns that they sell ranges from $7 to $14.
- Another online retailer such as PlantDelights.com sells different types of ferns from Perennial Maidenhair Fern to Fan Dance Ferns. The price for the ferns that they sell range from $8 to $15. For a variety of species, GreenWoodNursery.com offers ferns that are sold in the price range of $13 to $60 depending on the type of fern bought.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs when purchasing ferns are the shipping costs involved if you order them online. The price for shipping depends on how many ferns you have purchased.
- To have the ferns planted by a professional landscaper, plan on spending $10 to $20 per plant.
- Separate pots and fertilizer will be necessary to ensure that the plant lives a long, healthy life.
- Since these plants tend to hang, many opt to hang them from the ceiling or even outside. If this is the case, hanging supplies such as a chain and hook can cost as little as $5.
What is going to be included?
- In some purchases, companies may include a pot together with the fern that you purchase. Most of the time, however, there are no inclusions other than the fern itself.
How can I save money?
- Consult with a few local nurseries in the area. It is going to be a lot easier to spot a healthier plant in person, than purchase one online. Purchasing it locally will also allow you to avoid the shipping cost.
- Take proper care of your fern to avoid having to purchase a new one.
- When purchasing a fern locally from a nursery, consider looking for coupons that are available in most publications such as newspapers and magazines. This is a great way to save up to 50% on your purchase.