How Much Do Ferns Cost?
A fern is a type of plant that belong to a single botanical group. There are a wide variety of ferns available; there are at least 12,000 species of ferns currently living. Ferns have several uses and although they are not as important economically as seed plants, they are often considered a decorative plant in most countries. They can be used as food and they are flexible enough to be used as biological fertilizers. Ferns are also a component for producing fossil fuel. The price of ferns depends on the type of fern as well as the quantity of the product that will be purchased.
How much is it?
- On average, the price of a fern is going to be anywhere from $5 to as much as $50 for a simple hanging or potted plant. The time of the season as well as the geographical location can play a factor in the overall pricing of the plant.
- Plants that can be planted in the yard can cost anywhere from $4 to $35 depending on the type. For example, the Hardy Ostrich Fern that grows up to 8 feet tall retails for $5 to $8.
- The website SugarCreekGardens.com offers several kinds of ferns. They sell everything from Ghost Ferns to Lady Ferns. The price for the ferns that they sell ranges from $7 to $14.
- Another online retailer such as PlantDelights.com sells different types of ferns from Perennial Maidenhair Fern to Fan Dance Ferns. The price for the ferns that they sell range from $8 to $15. For a variety of species, GreenWoodNursery.com offers ferns that are sold in the price range of $13 to $60 depending on the type of fern bought.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs when purchasing ferns are the shipping costs involved if you order them online. The price for shipping depends on how many ferns you have purchased.
- To have the ferns planted by a professional landscaper, plan on spending $10 to $20 per plant.
- Separate pots and fertilizer will be necessary to ensure that the plant lives a long, healthy life.
- Since these plants tend to hang, many opt to hang them from the ceiling or even outside. If this is the case, hanging supplies such as a chain and hook can cost as little as $5.
What is going to be included?
- In some purchases, companies may include a pot together with the fern that you purchase. Most of the time, however, there are no inclusions other than the fern itself.
How can I save money?
- Consult with a few local nurseries in the area. It is going to be a lot easier to spot a healthier plant in person, than purchase one online. Purchasing it locally will also allow you to avoid the shipping cost.
- Take proper care of your fern to avoid having to purchase a new one.
- When purchasing a fern locally from a nursery, consider looking for coupons that are available in most publications such as newspapers and magazines. This is a great way to save up to 50% on your purchase.