How Much Do Hair Plugs Cost?
Hair plugs, or hair implants as they are more commonly called, are an excellent way to fight baldheadedness and the humiliation of hair loss. Depending on which doctor you choose, the cost of hair plugs will vary. This price also differs because doctors can use different procedures and methods of doing your hair plug implants. The price varies upon the size of the area or the total number of individual hair units that need to be transplanted. The geographical location and the skill of the surgeon can also greatly affect the cost.
How much is it?
- It is quite difficult to price hair implantation precisely. The only way to tell how much the procedure is going to cost is visiting an expert and asking for an estimate. On average, however, the price for the procedure will be anywhere from $1,500-$20,000. A whole new head of hair could run as much as $10,000, while $1,500 is the ballpark price for “patches.”
- In the United States, the cost per plug scales from $3 to $6. Nearly all procedures require from 1000 to 4000 hair follicle implants depending on the thickness of the hair and the area to be covered. The geographical location can play a rather big role so a place such as New York City will cost more than a procedure in Montana.
What are the extra costs?
- In addition to the plugs or implants, doctors may charge extra for the surgery.
- While most doctors are going to consult for free, some clinics may charge for a doctor’s examination fee. This will vary anywhere from $40 to $110.
- A follow up will more than likely be required for the procedure. This check up is going to vary in costs.
What is going to be included?
- With the $5,000 estimate for multiple treatments, this price should cover all of your hair plugs cost.
- There are a few different procedures that a doctor can used in order to transplant the hair plugs. One method known as the ribbon method is where the surgeon will remove parts of the scalp that still has good hair growth. The hair is then removed from this part of the scalp and will then be transplanted in the bald spots. The surgeon will usually take the hair from the back of the head.
- Another method known as the FUE (follicular unit extraction) is where the surgeon will remove a portion of the scalp and then separate the hair follicles out. Each individual hair will be removed and can be placed directly upon the scalp. This is ideal for those that have thinner hair.
How can I save money?
- You obviously do not want to pay too much for hair implants which you can get cheaper elsewhere. If a doctor tries to charge you more than the average, make sure you have checked the fees of other doctors nearby. It is safe to compare at least 3 to 5 doctors when trying to get a quote.
- If you are mulling over hair implants, start looking into different clinics now. The more research you do on various programs, the more likely you will end up with the perfect choice.
- Consider overseas tourist destinations. Be forewarned that it’s best to research into these vacations as some patients have had troubles in the past. It’s always best to learn about credentials as well as get referrals.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|