How Much Do Hamsters Cost?
Some rodents are commonly classified as pets, and one of the most popular of these is the hamster. Hamsters are not only used as pets but are also used as lab animals in more economically developed countries. Although they look like a mouse, they are clean and are usually bred in captivity. There are several types of hamsters sold on the market. These hamsters are priced differently and prices vary by age and the breed of the hamster itself.
How much do hamsters cost?
- On average, a hamster can cost $6 to as much as $30. This is going to depend on the breed that you want to purchase, the store from which you purchase the hamster, as well as few other factors.
- A white Syrian hamster can cost $6 to $11. These are usually 8 weeks old and have a white and cream colored fur coat.
- Russian Dwarf Hamsters have a lifespan of 3 years and are very energetic. These types of hamsters are ideal for children over the age of 10. These hamsters range from $15 to $25.
- A Fancy Russian Dwarf Hamsters are almost the same as the Russian Dwarf Hamsters except that they have black and white fur. These range from $16 to $25.
- Winter White Hamsters have black and gray fur and are seasonally available. These hamsters are also very active and also have a lifespan of 3 years. They can cost $16 to $25.
- Robo Dwarf Hamsters have a longer lifespan as they can live up to 4 years. They have a mustard and white fur and can cost $16 to $24.
What are the extra costs?
- You will need to feed hamsters with a special type of food to maintain their energy. Hamster food ranges from $5 to $11.
- Specialized hamster cages provide obstacles as well run about wheels or balls that they use to run endlessly. These are available from $25 to $150. Since each and every habitat will vary, deluxe cages can cost upwards of $150.
- While optional, hamsters don’t mind playing with additional toys. These smaller toys can cost a few dollars, depending on what kind of toy you purchase.
- These cages will also require hamster shavings in order to ensure that the hamster lives a healthy lifestyle. A bag of shavings will have to be purchased monthly on average. This can cost $5 to $15 a bag.
- Additional accessories such as a smaller chew toy can cost upwards of $10. These types of toys are recommend to ensure that the hamster maintains good dental health.
- If any health problems persist down the road, a vet visit may be required. Checkups can start at $40 and go up from there.
What is going to be included?
- Some pet stores may include a special start up kit when you purchase the hamster such as the cage, food and more.
Tips to know:
- Hamsters don’t really have a long lifespan. In fact, most hamsters only live up to three years, no matter how much care they receive. As they grow older, the hamsters can become territorial. Because of this, it’s best not to introduce new hamsters.
- Aside from the hamster food that comes out of the bag, it doesn’t hurt to mix things up a little bit. Consider feeding your hamster a treat such as carrots and oatmeal.
- If a hamster continues to bite, don’t bite back. Instead, try to play around with it for a few hours a week. By doing this, you can train the hamster not to bite back.
- Cleaning a cage should be done with water and vinegar. This organic cleaning mix will clean the cage and be harmless to the hamster’s health.
How can I save money?
- The best way to save money is to adopt a pet. There are several institutions that will allow you to adopt a pet which makes you a hamster owner at no cost. Use online websites such as PetFinder.com to find local breeders that are willing to give up their hamster. Since there is a great supply of them out there, your chances of finding one for a low price are pretty good.
- Instead of purchasing shavings for the cage, consider shredding up toilet paper rolls when you’re done with them. Always avoid cedar chips, though. This type of bedding tends to cause respiratory problems.
- Consider supplementing your hamster’s food with items such as vegetables and fruit. This is a great way to not only mix up their diet, but save money as well.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|