How Much Do Handrails Cost?
A handrail is used on different structures for the purpose of supporting individuals when ascending stairs, ladders, or even stools. Handrails provide a safe way to reach an elevated place as they are installed on both sides of the stairs to guarantee a stable way to ascend or descend. Handrails can be made out of several different materials including steel or wood. There are several types of handrails sold on the market and their prices can vary according to the size, material, style, and more.
How much is it?
- A handrail for the swimming pool can cost $90 to $125. These rails are usually made from stainless steel and on average they measure at 6 feet with 2 bends.
- Handrails for boats made out of stainless steel that measure at 24 inches can cost $42 to $65.
- Staircase handrails provide support for stairs, and they provide a sturdy foundation for the individual that uses them. Handrails will generally range from $34 to $179 depending on the type of material used. A higher end rail such as an iron based one can cost as much as $160 for a 6 foot rail.
- Handrails are also used in the medical field. For example, a standard hand bed rail, which is made out of stainless steel, can cost $52 to $148. Most of these medical based rails have a rubber covering for extra grip.
- A front porch made of concrete generally requires a handrail since this is more than likely the code for your local county. Depending on the material, a porch handrail can cost $200 to as much as $450 or more.
- Customized handrails made from a rare wood or one that even has engraved specialized designs can cost upwards of $500 to as much as $4,000+ depending upon the quality of the materials that are being used as well as the person completing the job.
What are the extra costs?
- Handrail brackets are needed to be able to install the handrails to the wall and to provide additional strength to the foundation; they are sold for $2.
- Installation costs need to be considered if you hire a contractor to install the handrail for you. Most contractors can install a handrail for $100 to as much as $300. Keep in mind that most contractors will have a minimum rate to even start a job.
- A customized set-up may require customized cuts.
- Staining and painting will be needed after the handrail is installed. There are handrails that are pre-finished, however.
What is going to be included?
- The screws and bolts used to install it, as well as the instruction manual on how to install it properly, will be included with your purchase.
- Some handrails will come with a finish so that you don’t have to stain it, or paint it.
How can I save money?
- If you want to save money, you can install the handrail yourself. Several types of handrails are easy to install and can be done easily by the average person.
- If you’re unable to install handrail yourself, you’ll need to browse for contractors that offer their services at a low price. Use services such as Service Magic to find quotes in your area.