How Much Do Heated Floors Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
A heated floor is equipped with an underfloor heating solution that provides heat to a cold floor. There are different types of heating solutions that provides heated floor options. The most common types of heated floors households use include electric systems, solar thermal and natural gas. The cost of heating floors is going to depend on the type of heat that is going to be used, the amount of heated flooring that needs to be installed, the complexity of the job and the company that will perform the job.
How much is it?
- On average, hydronic radiant heated floors that use hot water to heat the floorboards can cost anywhere from $5 to as much as $17 per square foot to have it installed by a professional. For example, a kitchen that is 600 square feet could cost anywhere from $3,000 to $10,200 to have the heated floors installed.
- A radiant heated floor system that uses an electric system underneath the flooring can cost anywhere from $4 to $8 per square foot. The system itself can cost upwards of $3,500 to $5,000 while the flooring will be extra.
- For example, an average bathroom can cost anywhere from $300 to $600 to have the flooring installed with electric heat.
- According to OldHouseWeb.com, which installs hydronic radiant heated floor, the price for this type of heating solution can be anywhere from $4 to $6 per square foot for the materials alone.
- Heated tiles can also be used to provide heated flooring. These materials can be supplied by the sites such as Muttbaker.com and are priced between $135 to $705 for a simple, smaller bathroom setup. This price range would be for the tiles alone, and professional labor charges will not be included.
What are the extra costs?
- If the heating solution is going to be installed on an existing surface, the flooring will need to be demolished. Experts will recommend that heated flooring is installed in a room that currently has no flooring as this is the cheapest option.
- While heating flooring can be installed by a homeowner, it is highly recommended that a professional is brought in due to the complexity of the project.
- Most heated flooring systems today are cost efficient only costing $10 to $30 extra per month.
What is going to be included?
- An electric radiant system will have heating cables that are placed underneath the floorboards. This system will come equipped with a thermostat, as well as a timer for energy efficiency. The thermostat can be set to control the heat of floor.
- A hydronic radiant system is made from a flexible tubing that circulates hot water underneath the floor. This water can be warmed up to 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
How can I save money?
- Check with at least three different contractors before signing up with one. Sites such as Service Magic allow you to check quotes in your local area.
- A Hydronic system is going to cost a lot more than an electric system. Consider the perks and downfalls with each system before making a decision.
- Rooms such as bathrooms and kitchens are usually the most popular when it comes to flooring. Consider avoiding rooms such as the bedroom and/or living room because it can just rack up the expenses over time.