How Much Do Lovebirds Cost?
The lovebird is one of the many breeds and varieties of birds that people choose to keep as pets. Lovebirds are most commonly kept in pairs since their popularity is largely due to their monogamous pair bonding and the long periods in which the pair will spend sitting together. They are rather small but can be a marvel to look at since they possess different bright colors which is part of their natural characteristics.
How much is it?
- There are several stores that offer lovebirds, and because of the competitive nature of the market, each store will vary when pricing the lovebirds. Lovebirds, like other animals, have different breeds and the price will also depend on the quality of the breed. The gender and appearance of the bird will also affect the selling price. The location of the seller should also be considered when determining the price.
- For people looking for lovebirds, there is nothing better than buying lovebirds from breeders. These people offer lovebirds that they take care of personally and offer the best possible care they can give. If you buy from them, they will be able to give you tips and provide valuable information regarding their birds. On average, plan on spending anywhere from $20 to as much as $400 for a bird. Again, it will all depend on the factors mentioned above.
- For instance, BirdsNow.com is a website where different bird breeders post the lovebirds that they own. Sellers come from all over the country and you can choose from a wide varieties of lovebirds. The birds can be purchased for anywhere from $20 to $400.
- Oodle.com is another site where different owners of lovebirds post ads. The lovebirds that they sell range from Fischer to Peach Faced Lovebirds. The birds sold through this site also have varying age – some are even babies. The price for the lovebirds sold through this site ranges from $20 to $200.
What is going to be included?
- When you buy lovebirds, you can almost guarantee that they will be sold in pairs. This means that you will have two lovebirds for the prices mentioned above. The sellers will usually include small cages which will be used for transporting the birds.
- Reputable breeders will include any health and birth certificates as well as any other important documents.
- Depending on the breeder, some may include start up kits that include food, toys, and even special coupons for upcoming purchases.
What are the extra costs?
- Fortunately, lovebirds are very low maintenance and easy to take care of. You simply need a cage that is large enough to contain the lovebirds. The cage that is provided by the breeder will probably be too small to house the birds on a daily basis. There are simple cages that can be purchased, or you could choose a larger more decorative cage that will accent your home.
- If you are planning to have more than one set of lovebirds in a cage, you need to make sure that you place smaller birdhouses for each pair within the larger cage so each pair has a place to be together.
- It would be wise to budget about $20 per month for items such as food, toys, and supplies for the cage.
- In rare circumstances, a visit to the veterinarian can be required. The average vet visit can start at $40 and go up from there.
Tips to know:
- Lovebirds are fairly easy to take care of. There is nothing special that you need to do to keep them alive. Like any bird, they will just need an adequate sized cage, a partner, and food.
- Lovebirds usually eat insects and figs.
How can I save money?
- Because the internet has so many places that sell lovebirds, it is a great way to find the best price. Search many different sites before making your decision.
- There are many circumstances in which the owners of lovebirds may be unable to keep them anymore. In these cases, the owners usually try to find someone who would like the birds. You will be able to get a great price for the lovebirds, and the cage, toys, and all the supplies will probably be included.