How Much Do Mums Cost?
A mum is a very easily recognize flower that is commonly used as a corsage pinned to a teenager’s shoulder during homecoming festivities. Depending on the culture or norms of the locality, mums can be big – even bigger than a dinner plate – and ornate, or just a simple one.
Mums are usually composed of silk chrysanthemum flowers and used to make feather boas that can reach down to the floor, trailing ribbons as long as 36 inches, and trinkets that symbolize the student’s activities or interests. Typically worn by female students, mums serve as marks of identity among teenagers and a distinct American folk art tradition. Aside from the popular homecoming mum, they can also be purchased as a flower by itself.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the size, the cost of mums can range from as little as $40 to as much as $180. When it comes to a homecoming mum, the sky is really the limit in terms of creativity.
- Mums by themselves can cost around $6 to $15 and they commonly come in an 8-inch pot.
- At Mumsandgarters.com, for instance, the prices of their mums range anywhere from $75 to as much as $180. Their single mum retails for $75 while a triple heart mum costs $170.
- Someone answered at answers.yahoo.com and said that she spent around $75 on the mum plant she put together.
- Mums are a cheery flower, and because of that they are often sent to people for special occasions such as a birthday, Mother’s Day, the birth of a baby, etc. If you want to send a bouquet of mums to be sent to someone, the costs can range from $30 to $100.
What is going to be included?
- Mums are usually made according to customer’s specifications. But shops prepare some basic mums for display and sample purposes. For example, the company mentioned above, MumsandGarters.com, offers the following for their homecoming students:
- The Singles, which are preferred by freshmen and lower classes include the following items: one white mum with ribbon backing in school colors, bows, charms, custom braid in school colors, metallic streamers, name ribbons for 2 names, and a homecoming ribbon. While, the trinkets include the helmet, megaphone, two bells, and two footballs. Ribbon lengths are 36 inches.
- The Doubles are most preferred by sophomores and juniors. They usually include two white mums with ribbon backing in school colors 3½” dressed bear, custom braid in school colors, metallic streamers, name ribbons for 2 names, bows and a homecoming ’12 ribbon. The trinkets include one large football, two small footballs, whistle, helmet, and three bells. The ribbon lengths are 36 inches.
- The Triple Heart Mums are large and most prominent of all. Preferred by seniors, the Triple Heart mums include three white mums with ribbon backing in school colors, 5” dressed bear, two custom braids in school colors, bows, a homecoming with looped ribbons, metallic garland, metallic streamers and name ribbon for two names. The trinkets include various charms, whistle, megaphone, helmet, two footballs, and four bells. Ribbon lengths are 36 inches.
- The actual mum can come in various forms that include decorative, daisy, spoon tip and pompom. Common colors include bronze, red, white, yellow and purple.
- The flower can grow up to 18″ tall and grows best in the full sun.
- If you purchase a bouquet of mums to be sent to someone, it should include a vase, the flowers, a card, and delivery.
What are the extra costs?
- If you want more items added to your mum, there will be additional fees.
- Suppliers might charge more for a complex design or for mums that have several adornments.
- Additional shipping charges can be applied to online orders. This is usually less than $15.
Tips to know:
- A lavish mum can weigh up to 20 pounds.
- Some girls even adorn their mums with battery-operated lights and put pre-recorded sound into it through hidden speakers.
- Teenagers can be creative, and they can put whatever they fancy into their mums.
- One way or another, a mum serves as a medium of self-expression among teenagers who want to carve a name for themselves.
- Mums are very easy to grow. Plant them in the sun and keep them watered at least every other day. When they are finished blooming, be sure to cut them back so that they come in the following year.
- If properly cared for, mums can last forever since they are perennial. This means that they will die at the end of the season but will return the next year without replanting.
How can I save money?
- With just a little creativity, you can make your own mum for a very minimal cost by using recycled materials that can be found at home.
- If you rather prefer to buy a mum, you can bring your fancy toys or items to the supplier and let them incorporate these types of items into your mum.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|