How Much Do Pinto Beans Cost?
The pinto bean, also known as the “speckled bean,” is predominantly found in South America. The pinto bean is known for its mottled skin and it is the bean that is consumed most often in the United States. The most common ways that people eat these beans include mashing and re-frying them. Pinto beans are also found in popular soups such as chili. Some of the most common pinto bean varieties include burke, othello, maverick, and sierra. The cost of pinto beans is going to depend on a few factors such the time of year, the location from which the beans are shipped, the merchant, and other factors.
How much is it?
- Pinto beans are often purchased by the pound. On average, a one pound bag can vary anywhere from $3 to $5 per pound. The more that you purchase, the more that you will be able to save per pound.
- For example, a 25 pound box of pinto beans manufactured by Angelina’s Gourmet retails for $38 for the entire box.
- PintoBean.org is an online store that sells authentic pinto beans from the heart of New Mexico. They sell beans for $18.60 for one five pound bag. The more you purchase, the more that you will be able to save per pound.
- Pinto beans that are already mashed are available in cans. These cans can vary in size and will cost $1-$5.
What are the extra costs?
- Authentic pinto beans often have to be purchased online. Due to the weight restrictions, many have to charge shipping fees. These can start at $5 and go up from there.
What is going to be included?
- Pinto beans can often come in a burlap type bag or even in a box. Once they are received, it is best to store them in a dry, cool area. The outside of the burlap bag will often state the location from which beans originated. Adding salt can often give the beans some additional flavor.
- Because pinto beans are bagged directly and not processed at all, make sure you go through the bag of beans before cooking them and look for any foreign objects. For example, small stones can sometimes be found in a burlap bag of pinto beans.
Tips to know:
- Pinto beans are often found in many foods such as frijoles, refried beans, dips, salsas, chili, stews, and can even be seasoned with dried chile peppers.
- Before you attempt to cook pinto beans, always make sure that you soak them at least 24 hours in advanced. Once soaked, boil up to five minutes covered. After five minutes of boiling, let the beans simmer for around 60 minutes. On average, every one cup of dry beans can yield up to three cups of beans cooked.
- Pinto beans commonly come in packs of one, five, ten and 25 pound bags.
- The best pinto beans often come from countries such as Mexico or South America. While this is not always possible, consider looking for sellers online that are from authentic countries.
How can I save money?
- Typically, the more beans that you purchase, the more that you are going to save per pound. Since pinto beans can be stored for a long time, consider purchasing a bulk amount to receive the maximum amount of savings.
- Consider going to local wholesale clubs such as Costco or Sam’s Club as these wholesale clubs often charge less than your local grocery store or an online retailer.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|