How Much Do Sardines Cost?
Sardines are a type of fish that are small and oily. Sardines are saltwater fish that are rich in nutrients and you can find them almost in every grocery store packed in cans. Sardines can also be bought fresh and then used for grilling, pickling, and smoking. Sardines are very rich in omega 3, which is known to reduce the risk of heart conditions; they also contain fatty acids.
How much is it?
- Sardines are usually sold in cans and they are widely available in grocery stores. They are usually are canned with olive oil or with a tomato sauce. They are also sold in different quantities, which can also have an effect on the price. On average, sardines can cost anywhere from $1 to $4 per can.
- A higher quality sardine such as the Crown Prince Skinless and Boneless Sardines retail for $28 to $38 per 12 cans. A cheaper alternative that is less than $1 per can is a brand such as the Crown Prince Sardines in Water.
What are the extra costs?
- Sardines that are packed with extra ingredients such as mustard and olive oil are going to cost more than the standard sardine that is soaked in water. Expect to pay an additional $2 to $3 more for a can of sardines with ingredients.
What is going to be included?
- Sardines include the packaging as well as the liquid and ingredients that with which they are packed, which is usually tomato sauce or olive oil.
- Some cans of sardines may include recipe ideas or tips for use.
Top brands to consider:
- Chicken of the Sea
- Crown Prince
Tips to know:
- For those that don’t like to eat sardines on their own, consider mixing in some vegetables with it. Common vegetables that have been found to be used in the Philippines with sardines include patola and upo.
- On top of vegetables, consider mixing them with noodles as well. Sardines mixed with noodles are known to be a delicacy around the globe.
- For those that want sardines for the health benefit, but don’t like the flavors as much, consider mixing it into a soup. There are many different soup recipes available out there that not only taste good, but hide the sardine flavor rather well.
How can I save money?
- There are some stores that sell the product in packs. By purchasing it this way, it will enable you to save more since it can be sold at wholesale price. Sardines packed in cans and jars have a long shelf life and you will be able to store the ones that were not consumed.
- Consider services such as Amazon’s Subscribe and Save that enables you to get them delivered to your door on a regular basis. If you subscribe, you can save up to 20% or more on your purchase.