How Much Do Scallops Cost?
Scallops are found all over the world in any ocean. They are a common food that are usually found in seafood restaurants in dishes such as pasta or even by themselves sauteed in butter. Markets will either sell the scallops already prepared in the shell, or sell them with the muscle intact; you will have to process these. Outside of the United States, scallops are usually sold whole. The price of scallops depends on the form, quality, quantity, and where you purchase it.
How much is it?
- Smaller scallops, which are known as bay scallops, are going to cost less than a larger scallop. On average, prepare to spend anywhere from $8 to $17 per pound at a local fresh fish market. The fresher they are, the more you are going to pay.
- For a bag of frozen scallops commonly found at your local grocery store, the price is going to range anywhere from $6 to $9 per pound. While these are still considered scallops, the quality is a lot different compared to a fresh purchase.
- Gourmet purchase online through companies such as the Hancock Gourmet Lobster Company will offer 10 to 20 scallops for $28 to $34.
- Scallops that have been boiled and canned can cost anywhere from $1 to $3 per can, depending on the ingredients added. Most canned scallops are commonly soaked in salt to preserve their freshness.
What are the extra costs?
- Scallops purchased through various gourmet retailers online are going to more than likely charge an additional shipping fee if a minimum is not met. Fresh scallops will have to be shipped using dry ice.
What is going to be included?
- Raw scallops will come either fresh or frozen. Once thawed, they can either be baked, broiled, or grilled. Search online for recipes and common ways to cook the scallops.
Tips to know:
- Scallops can be cooked in many different ways. These can be cooked through baking, broiling and even sauteing.
- For the baking method, keep in mind that scallops can toughen up rather quickly. Because of this, you’re going to want to make sure that you watch them at all times while cooking. To bake, simply throw them in the over for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Wait until they are white in color before eating.
- To saute the scallops, dip them in milk and lightly dust them with some flour. Throw some butter in a pan and cook them until they are browned on each side. Again, don’t overcook them or they will begin to have a rubbery taste and appearance. Most experts are going to recommend that you saute them for the maximum amount of flavor.
How can I save money?
- Fresh fish markets are not only going to have the best in terms of quality, their prices are rather comparable to those gourmet markets online. Why wait 2 to 3 days to receive your seafood, when you can get it in person instantly? Check your local grocery store to see what they can offer.
- Because scallops are a gourmet food, they are not necessary. Save the money and only get them on special occasions.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|