How Much Do Schnauzers Cost?
A Schnauzer is dog that originated from Germany in the early 15th century. This particular breed is know for its bearded snout and salt and pepper colored coat. The average Miniature Schnauzer can get up to 20 pounds, while a Giant Snauzer can get up to 80 pounds. Most are known to have higher energy levels compared to most other dog breeds out there. Types of Schnauzers include a Giant, Miniature, and Standard. The cost will depend on the breed, type, location, age, and other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, a Miniature Schnauzer can cost anywhere from $500 to $2,700. AKC/show breeds are going to be more toward the $2,000 price tag.
- Standard Schnauzers can cost anywhere from $400 to $1,500. Females are going to be more than the male breed. Dogs over the age of 2 can cost anywhere from $75 to $400.
- Giant Schnauzers that can grow up to 80 pounds can cost anywhere from $400 to $1,600. Again, older dogs can be purchased for $75 to $300 and AKC/show breeds will cost on the higher end of the price range.
- SchnauzerLoveRescue.org, a Schnauzer rescue corporation commonly has these types of dogs available for adoption. Their adoption fees are going to range anywhere from $200 to as much as $450. In order to adopt through a rescue group such as this, they will simply ask you to fill out an application in order to get approved. Right now, they have dogs ranging from the age of 10 months to as old as 11 years old.
What are the extra costs?
- It is highly recommended that a dog is brought into a veterinarian office to ensure that its health is up to par. If the dog is healthy and the breeder included a health guarantee, you should be able to return it with no questions asked.
- Additional items in the future such as a bed, chew toys, dog food, bowls, vet visits, and more will all add to the cost. According to NCSchnauzers.org, the total start up costs can cost anywhere from $400 to $500.
- If the dog has to be shipped via an airline, the costs can range from $200 to $500 depending on how far the dog has to travel.
- If adopted, there may be smaller fees such as application fee that can apply to the total adoption costs. Each shelter is going to vary with it’s fees and pricing structures.
What is going to be included?
- Dogs purchased online generally come with a health guarantee, up to date shots, any available paperwork, health certificates, and a travel crate.
- Breeders and shelters may also include a start up kit that includes items such as dog food, toys, crates, and more.
How can I save money?
- Check local shelters in your area to see if there are any older dogs for adoption. Shelters that focus on Schnauzers have some available for free and are just looking for a loving family to take them in. Since these breeds are fairly common, it shouldn’t be that hard to find one.
- When checking with a breeder, be sure to ask questions as well as ask for references. It is always best to find a reputable breeder in your area so that you can see the dogs in person.