How Much Do Seahorses Cost?
With over 50 species, seahorses are mainly found in shallow tropical waters and temperate waters throughout the world. The cost of a seahorse will depend on the species, age, quality, geographical location and where it’s purchased.
How much is it?
- On average, a seahorse can cost anywhere from $45 to as much as $250. There are different types of seahorses sold in the market and they are sold at different prices. Depending on the species, the price of seahorses can be different. The store that sells them can sell them at varying price points as well.
- A species such as a dwarf seahorse can cost anywhere from $8 to $25. Another breed such as a Black Giant retails for $25 to $80 depending on the size. Larger ones are going to toward the higher end, while smaller sizes will be toward the lower end.
- According to the site Seahorsesource.com, the prices of a seahorse will range from $50 to $100 each.
- An online store such as Seahorse.com offers a wide variety of seahorses for sale; they also provide information on how to take care of seahorses as well as how to provide them habitat away from the sea. The price for seahorses according to this site ranges from $65 to $250.
- Liveaquaria.com sells different types of seahorses that can be taken care of at home. They sell seahorses for anywhere from $35 to $80.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs involved when buying a seahorse is a fully functioning aquarium in which the seahorse can live. There are different components that make up the aquarium and the price depends on the store that sells it. Seahorses will require a saltwater fish tank. Plan on setting aside at least $300 to start up the aquarium.
- Due to the nature of shipping, many breeders online may require an additional charge for expedited shipping.
- Seahorses need to eat a lot on a daily basis. Their diet is going to include foods such as shrimp, krill, copepods and other frozen or live foods.
What is going to be included?
- When you buy a seahorse, the only thing included will be the free shipping of the animal to your place if purchased online.
- Some breeders may also include a start up kit that includes food, a small aquarium for a temporary stay, and more.
Tips to know:
- Be sure to research the atmosphere that a seahorse is going to require. Seahorses are delicate marine fish that require saltwater maintained at a lower temperature.
- Seahorses are very picky eaters. Make sure that you know what type of food your seahorse will enjoy. Some of their favorites include items such as shrimp.
- Seahorses need to be fed on a daily basis. Because of this, if you are considering a vacation, it is important to remember that you should have some watch and feed them on a daily basis.
- If purchasing one in person, avoid seahorses that are breathing heavily or ones that have a bloated look. These could potentially have a disease that is not curable.
How can I save money?
- To save money, check out the different types of seahorse species available for sale and buy one from a store that can offer them at a low price. There are several stores that can sell them and they are therefore offered at competitive prices.
- Consider purchasing them locally so you will be able to avoid any shipping charges.
- When setting up the aquarium, check with sites such as ebay to find a used aquarium and all the requirements for a saltwater tank.