How Much Do Security Bars Cost?
Security bars are the most simple and least expensive method to prevent intrusion and theft on an individual’s property. Security bars are usually installed on windows. Some security bars have locks, enabling the homeowner to open and close the bars at will. Security bars are often made of steel; however, it can be made of other metals such as stainless steel. The price of security bars depends on the size of the bars, the type of metal used to manufacture them, the brand and if a contractor is needed.
How much is it?
- On average, security bars are going to cost anywhere from $30 to as much as $200. The company manufacturing the product, the type of metal used to make the bars, and the size of the security bars are all factors determining why the price can be different.
- For example, a set of security bars that measure at 22″ x 24″ – 42″ can retail for $49 to $59. These prices will not include professional installation if you want to have them installed by a professional.
- An online store such as Window-Bars.com sells products that range anywhere from $30 to $180.
- Local hardware stores such as ACE hardware also sell security bars that are made of different metals and are available in different sizes. Through their site AceHardwareOutlet.com, the company sells the security bars for anywhere from $49 to $149.
- GoodbarSecurity.com provides information regarding security bars as this is the company’s specialty. The price for security bars according to this site ranges anywhere between $27 and $120.
What are the extra costs?
- An additional cost involved in having security bars installed in your house is the price for the installation itself. Since the price mentioned above only lists the price for the product, you may have to pay for the fee for the contractors that will install the bars.
- If installing the security bars yourself, additional materials such as screws and a specialized drill bit that can drill through concrete may be needed. Some kits may include all the necessary materials, but it will greatly vary depending upon the brand. Kits that include all of the materials will cost more than those that do not.
What is going to be included?
- Included with the purchase of the security bars are the frames that it comes with. These frames act as the foundation for the security bars, and this is the part of the bars that will be installed in the door or window.
- Some frames will come with locks while others can be adjusted once they are installed.
- Name brand bars can come with a limited warranty that lasts up to 5 years; some even last as long as 10 years.
Tips to know:
- Be sure to know about the dangers regarding security bars. In an emergency situation, such as a house fire, security bars could be the occupants of the house at great risk. FEMA recommends that quick release devices are installed in case of an emergency. Be sure to read more information on the FEMA.gov website.
How can I save money?
- The best way to save money is to buy security bars that are made of durable materials. Buying this type of security bar will require a larger investment in the beginning, but you will be able to save money over time by avoiding repairs.
- If you are going to have a professional install the windows, be sure to get at least three quotes before making a decision. Sites such as Service Magic can help you find the best quote in your area.