How Much Do Short Ribs Cost?
Short ribs are a very popular cut of beef, especially because they are bigger and more tender than their pork counterpart. Some people may not be aware that there are different cuts of meat that can be taken from a slaughtered cow. The different parts have varying characteristics which make them suitable for different types of cooking. Some parts are tough and are not good for searing or frying and can take several hours to tenderize by braising. If you have a lot of time, these cuts may work for you. However, short ribs are one of the cuts of meat that are already tender and ready to cook. Short ribs are popular in French cooking as well as in Korea, where the most popular cut is butterflying them.
How much is it?
- Short ribs are widely available in local markets and each store can offer this cut at different prices. Other factors that can affect the price of short ribs are the type of beef from which it was taken, since there is premium bred beef available. The amount of meat that you will purchase would also play a factor in how much the meat will be. On average, plan on spending anywhere from $4 to as much as $7 per pound at your local grocery store.
- For example, Costco sells short ribs by the pound. They provide the product in cases, and the minimum weight for each case reaches up to 70 pounds. These are USDA choice boneless short ribs that do not have the same marbling as Premium cuts but have very high quality. The price of short ribs sold through their site range from $4 to $6 per pound.
- MarxFoods.com sells a premium grade beef that is similar to Costco. This type of beef is from the domestic Wagyu beef, which is bred from Japanese herds that were raised in the United States. Each case contains up to 8 pieces of short ribs that weigh up to 20 pounds and can cost anywhere from $320 to $350.
What is going to be included?
- There are different types of beef from which short ribs can be taken. The most premium breed can be more expensive. Packaging will generally note where the beef was obtained.
- Some of the stores that sell short ribs may also provide recipes their customers can use for the meat that they have purchased. They also provide tips for handling and storage, especially if it is an expensive cut of meat.
- All of the meat sold in the US will be USDA choice cuts which ensure the quality of each purchase.
What are the extra costs?
- If you buy short ribs from an online store, they will charge for the shipping fee on top of the actual cost of the short ribs. Most shipments are going to include some form of dry ice to ensure that it stays frozen.
Tips to know:
- If you do not want anything fancy on your meat, you can purchase regular USDA beef that has less marbling than prime without dimishing the quality of the meat.
- Beef can be graded based on several factors which include maturity, texture and color. Remember that the more marbling the meat has, the more flavor it can produce.
How can I save money?
- There are different grades of beef that you can purchase as well as different cuts from different types of beef. You may consider buying just the lower grade beef if you plan on eating it for a regular dinner.
- If you need short ribs for a large party, consider buy the meat in bulk as will be cheaper per pound.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|