How Much Do Tanning Beds Cost?
A tanning bed, also known as a sunbed, is a device that emits ultraviolet radiation that will help produce a tan that will darken the skin. Tanning beds found in local tanning salons have fluorescent lamps that produce a UV that is very similar to the sun. Tanning beds come in all shapes and sizes and can also come in the form of a lamp. The cost of a tanning bed will depend on the size, number of lamps, as well as other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, a tanning bed can cost anywhere from $1,500 to $5,200. Advanced tanning beds that are found in commercial salons can cost upwards of $10,000 to $32,000.
- Luxury tanning beds that come equipped with 18 to 32 lamps can cost anywhere from $2,100 to $4,000. Smaller tanning beds that have fewer than 16 lights can cost anywhere from $1,500 to $2,300.
- Commercial tanning beds that can be found in professional tanning salons can cost anywhere from $1,500 to as much as $15,000 depending on the power and the size.
- Stand-up tanning beds that allow the user to stand up rather than lay down can cost anywhere from $999 to as much as $15,000 brand new.
- For example, the Solar Wave 16 Lamp Home Tanning Bed retails for $1,299 to $2,000.
What are the extra costs?
- Lamps will start to lose their effectiveness after about 50 hours. Over time, these lamps will have to be replaced in order to ensure that the lamps are emitting enough UVs to give a proper tan.
- Regular maintenance and repairs may be needed in the future if any problems occur. A professional may charge anywhere from $65 to $115 an hour to repair.
- Some tanning beds may require a special electrical outlet due to their size and electric output. On top of the output, these beds require a lot of electricity. Depending on the amount of use, many homeowners can see a significant change in their electric bill each and every month.
- The additional accessories in order to use the bed such as the tanning goggles, lotion, etc.
What is going to be included?
- Reputable companies may offer a limited warranty that lasts up to a lifetime. Check the bed description to see what is included in terms of a warranty. On average, there will be a power-train warranty as well as one that covers the lamps. Most warranties will last 3 to 6 years.
- High efficiency, high output lamps designed for the bed will be included with purchase. Some beds may also come with additional replacement lamps.
- Most beds will come equipped with a timer as well as an auto shut off that ensures that the bed shuts off after the timer goes off.
How can I save money?
- Consider other options such as going to the tanning salon itself. A single session tan can cost as little as $7. Tanning beds are going to require a lot of electricity, so do not be surprised if you see a jump in your electric bill. See: “How much does tanning cost?“
- If your heart is set on an at home system, consider purchasing one used. Used tanning beds can cost up to 50% cheaper than a newer one.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|