How Much Do Tree Braids Cost?
Tree braids are a popular hairstyle that involves using a natural type of hair extension. With this style, braids and knots are used to hold the hair extensions in place instead of chemicals, needles, or heat.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the number of braids that need to be done and the stylist completing the job, plan on budgeting anywhere from $50 to $100 for a partial job or around $200 to $325 for a complete service of hair braids.
- Tree braids at Your Natural Image Natural Hair Care Salon in Kansas City, Missouri, cost $150 to $200 and lasts 6 to 8 weeks with proper care. Although the time frame varies from client to client, the procedure generally takes about 4 to 5 hours to finish.
- At DP Hair Visions in Portsmouth, Virginia, tree braid cornrows cost $165 to $200, while individual tree braids cost $180 to $260. Prices vary for clients with natural hair or very thick and long hair.
What is going to be included?
- Creating tree braids involve a corn-rowed method that weaves the hair without using glue or thread. Getting tree braids generally takes anywhere from two to five hours in most cases. Hair extensions are placed appropriately to add volume and length to a client’s existing hairstyle.
- In general, tree braids last 4 to 6 weeks, with many clients getting their hair re-done at 5 to 6 weeks. Micro tree braids, which are practically invisible, can last 6 to 8 weeks.
- Some hair salons require a non-refundable deposit before an appointment is set. There are others who will charge clients up to $20 if they are late for 20 minutes and have not informed the staff beforehand. If you cancel an appointment with less than a 24-hour notice, you may be charged.
What are the extra costs?
- With some hair salons the smaller and/or longer the braids and twist, the more they will cost. This is due to the time and effort necessary to finish a more complicated tree braiding session.
- Hair extensions, whether human or synthetic, are typically not included in the price and will need to be purchased separately. Tree braids are just the way that the extensions are connected.
- Most hair stylists expect a tip after their services are complete.
Factors that influence the price:
- Hair extension type. Two types of hair extensions are used in tree braiding: human hair and synthetic hair. Human hair extensions normally cost more than the synthetic type because they are more durable and there are no limitations when it comes to styling. Synthetic hair can be bought in different textures and colors, but styling it is limited to a few options and it cannot be heated, curled or straightened.
- Experience. Compared with less experienced hair stylists, professional stylists who are more knowledgeable and hold more experience usually quote higher rates when rendering their services.
- Styling. Tree braiding costs can also be affected by the kind of styling done on the braids. These will also depend on whether human hair or synthetic extensions are used as these two require different kinds of styling, with the latter having more restrictions.
- Time. If the stylist needs more time on your tree braids than average, you may have to pay more for the extra time.
Tips to know:
- Avoid using products like hair gel and hair spray on the actual braids as these can result to unsightly buildup of residue. Also, do not use heat on synthetic hair as this can cause damage.
- Choose a hair stylist that specializes in African-American hair and braiding and not just in doing cornrows. Experienced professionals will ideally explain the process, provide a price estimate, and give an estimate on how long the tree braiding procedure will take. They should also be able to provide before and after pictures of people whose hair they have previously done.
- While tree braiding can be done on different types of hair, it often works best on thick, kinky African American hair.
How can I save money?
- Coupons and online specials are offered for consumers to take advantage of. Many of these offers allow clients to obtain significant discounts off the regular prices of tree braiding services.
- Some hair salons offer discounts to clients who can send a specific number of customers to their salon. Also, birthday and student discounts are also offered as well as new mother discounts.
- Once you find a salon and stylist that you like, stay loyal to her. If you continue to go back, you may be able to receive significant discounts.