How Much Do Vocal Lessons Cost?
Vocal lessons are suitable for people who want to hone their vocal skills. Vocal classes are obtainable in a variety of ways, ranging from the traditional private tutoring to group classes to online vocal courses and programs. For serious music aficionados, getting the best vocal lesson gives them the chance to develop their ability the professional way. Thus, there is great importance in finding the right teacher in order for them to fulfill their objective.
How much does it cost?
- On average, vocal lessons are going to cost anywhere from $35 to as much as $65 per half hour. For lessons that last an hour, the costs can go up to $60 to $125 or more, depending on the vocal coach’s experience.
- Bluebearmusic.org in San Francisco, California, for example, offers vocal lessons for various levels:
- Singing For People Who Can’t Sing – $245 (or $85 3x)
- Beginning Voice – $300 (or $105 3x)
- Singing For People Who Can’t Sing – $300 (or $105 3x)
- Voice II – $300 (or $105 3x)
- Continuing Voice with Claire Plumb – $300 (or $105 3x)
- Singing for People Who Can Sing – $300 (or $105 3x)
- Pop Vocal Harmonies – $300 (or $105 3x)
- Vocal Technique with Raz Kennedy – $275 (or $95 3x; $50 non-refundable deposit)
- Continuing Voice with Raz Kennedy – $275 (or $95 3x; $50 non-refundable deposit
- R&B Vocal Performance Master Class with Raz Kennedy – $450 (or $155 3x; $50 non-refundable deposit)
- Rock/Pop Vocal Performance – $300 (or $105 3x); Jazz Vocal Performance – $390 (or $135 3x)
- Guitar Party – $185 (or $65 3x)
- Your First Band – $300 (or $105 3x)
- Music Theory, with a Little Help from The Beatles – $245 (or $85 3x).
- Vanderpostvoicestudio.com offers the following prices for vocal lessons: $55 for the initial session, $40 for 30 minutes, $55 for 45 minutes, and $70 for 1 hour. Vocal lessons are also offered to groups of 4 students at $45 per student, or $180 per class.
- Pellegrinomusic.com in Canton, Ohio, offers vocal lessons for $84 a month. This price includes 4 half-hour lessons held once a week. For months that consist of 5 weeks, the last week is set aside for makeup lessons in the event that the student needs to reschedule.
What is going to be included?
- Vocal classes generally teach a variety of voice lessons that help a student to learn to project and increase his or her vocal range. Some vocal coaches offer a classical foundation from which a student can grow into any music genre he or she chooses.
- One-on-one instructions are typically offered to vocalists from any and every level of proficiency. Vocal classes can either be a number of half-hour lessons per week or hour-long sessions held on certain days of the week. Lessons can be held privately or with a group.
- Online singing programs and courses are also made available through CDs, DVDs or downloadable formats. Some online singing lessons include a WebBook with audio, software, and karaoke-style exercises. Singing lessons include: vocal production basics; proper breathing technique; diaphragm conditioning; establishment of range; singing scales and octaves; as well as practice suggestions.
What are the extra costs?
- Some vocal coaches charge late fees to students who are unable to pay for their lessons on the appointed time. Others charge administrative fees for cancellation of lessons.
- Membership fees are also necessary at some music schools, with some requiring fees of as much as $60.
Factors that influence the price:
- Vocal coach. Vocal lessons are usually offered by professionals with an expertise in the field. Many sessions are conducted by teachers that may or may not have singing careers. Often, vocal coaches who have had extensive singing training, experience, and comprehensive musical background demand higher fees due to their level of proficiency.
- Sessions. Voice lessons do not necessarily follow a standard when it comes to frequency of lessons. At times, though, there are music schools and coaches that offer lessons at a faster and more frequent pace, sometimes owing to student proficiency. This typically can lead to an increase in professional rates.
- Complexity of lesson. Vocal classes have different levels of complexity. Beginners naturally have basic and simple lessons, which cover the essentials of singing. Classes designed for more professional vocalists are more in-depth, usually taking on more targeted techniques, expression, phrasing and performance.
- Type of lesson. Vocal lessons can be taken in either of three methods. These include private lessons, group classes, and online tutorials. Of the three, the latter is typically the cheapest, mainly because of the impersonal level of involvement provided by the medium. Group class is more expensive than an online course, but more affordable than a private coaching. Private lessons are the most expensive due to their highly tailored approach to learning.
Tips to know:
- Before choosing a vocal coach, make sure to research about his or her musical background, proficiency, length of time in the business of teaching voice lessons and reputation with past and present clients.
- If opting to take vocal lessons at a music school, it is important to get a feel for the school environment and be certain that it is a good fit.
- When choosing between a private lesson and a group class, it is often advisable for students to choose the method in which they are most comfortable to ensure that they are as motivated as possible.
How can I save money?
- Take advantage of memberships that offer discounts and reduced prices for vocal lessons.
- Some music schools offer significant discounts to students who prepay their fees a month in advance.
- If you are willing, consider purchasing an online vocal course. But be sure that the product has had positive reviews from customers to ascertain that they are a good value for the money.
- Some music schools offer low-cost tutorials to interested students. In this setup, private tutoring sessions are offered at reduced rates and follow a certain schedule. However, these tutorials are taken in conjunction with a regular course. For enthusiasts, such affordable tutorials are an excellent way to hone their skills.