How Much Do Wigs Cost?
Wigs can have a variety of purposes. A wig can be used for a cancer patient going through chemotherapy or someone who is simply looking for a different hairstyle. Regardless of the situation, the cost of a wig is going to greatly vary depending upon a few factors such as the type of hair, the brand, the store selling, it as well as other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, a synthetic wig can cost anywhere from as little as $30 to as much as $400. A synthetic wig will look and feel like real hair, but it requires less attention than real hair.
- A wig that is actually made from real hair can cost anywhere from $650 to as much as $2,500. A wig that has been created from real hair is going to require a lot of attention, however. In fact, this wig can often require more attention than your regular hair.
- According to an FAQ section on the website Extensions-Plus.com, a quality wig should cost anywhere from $800 to as much as $1,800.
- HeadCovers.com is an online eCommerce store that features a wide variety of affordable wig options. Wigs sold here can cost from $80 and beyond.
What are the extra costs?
- Customized wigs of which you are able to choose the color and length can often get into the thousands.
- Some wigs will require a professional cleaning. Since most wigs cannot be washed in a washing machine, they will have to be taken to a professional cleaner for service.
What is going to be included?
- A synthetic wig is going to be a lot cheaper than real hair. These types of wig will come with a set style that you are not able to alter. Using a sticky adhesive pad, these wigs can stick to your head without slipping. These wigs can last umore than a year depending upon how well they were taken care of.
- Real hair wigs will come from real hair that was donated. These wigs can come in many lengths and colors. Real hair wigs are able to last more than five years if taken care of properly. Like your real hair, this wig can be styled. Depending on the type of real hair wig, washing instructions can vary.
Tips to know:
- If going through cancer, check with your local hospital to see if they can recommend any organizations in the area that offer wigs for free to cancer patients. Also ask friends or fellow cancer patients in the hospitals. Referrals are going to be the best way to find quality wigs at a low cost.
- If possible, try to pick out your wig before the chemotherapy begins. You will have more energy and the stylist will be able to see your original color. This is a great way for the stylist to match your wig with your original look.
- Try a wig on in person if possible. Try to avoid those that have a liner that can cause itching or potential rashes.
How can I save money?
- Some organizations offer wigs to those that meet certain requirements. These requirements include a certain age and income.
- While a real hair wig can cost more, it is going to last up to three times longer. Try to focus more on the quality rather than the price tag.
- Consider going with shorter hair right from the beginning. Shorter hair is not only going to be cheaper, it is going to be a lot easier to manage.
- Health insurance companies can cover a portion if not all of a wig purchase. If you do not have a health insurance policy, consider using services such as eHealthInsurance.com to find a company that can suit your needs.