How Much Do Word Tattoos Cost?
Word tattoos are becoming a serious fad nowadays. Word tattoos are chosen over tattoos with symbols and designs for a few reasons. Aside from the aesthetic beauty they bring to those who have them, these forms of tattoos offer something that no traditional tattoo could offer: they convey meaning directly. They also offer something more personal than a generic symbol or design.
One-word tattoos may be simple but they can carry out meaning that reveals one’s personality. And if a single word could not put across the message one wants to convey, a whole quote tattooed on your body may do the job. Whatever you prefer, one thing is for sure: the cost associated with it must be thoroughly considered.
How much does it cost?
- Like other types of tattoo, one needs to discuss the price upfront with his artist. The price varies whether the one doing the tattoo is an amateur, apprentice or master in his craft. As for an average word tattoo that will not cause any difficulty in the artist, a flat rate may be given. It will be about $50 to $100. However, for those word tattoos that need details due to the font style and the body location, expect to be charged per hour. The specific price is set by the tattoo artist. Thus, the longer time he spends doing your tattoo, the higher you will likely pay for it.
- An article about tattoos at Buzzle.com stresses that there is no industry standard regarding the cost of tattoos. Word tattoos are no exemption in this fact. However, there are some ballpark estimates commonly cited with this kind of tattoo.
- In comparison to other types of tattoos, word tattoos differ in prices based on some factors. Dominant factors include the design (the size of the words and color, if there is) and the expertise of the artist. Like other tattooing jobs, the cost of the word tattoo is usually priced per hour and not by the individual letter designs. The price usually starts at $40 per hour and could go as high as $250 per hour. The said price range is suggested by the tattoo authority site Tattoomenow.com.
- As for the price per hour, Aliexpress.com has given the word tattoos price trends over the months. According to the site, the average rate per hour falls in the range of $40 to over $60.
What is going to be included?
- Word tattoos can be composed of a single word, a phrase, or a quote from a favorite book or movie. It can even be a whole quotation from somebody you idolize. In addition, words and phrases written in Latin or any other language may be preferred. As long as the tattoo serves its purpose of expressing a thought or message, the sky is the limit.
- Word tattoos usually fall in the category of custom tattoos. Thus, having one done in your body is basically the same with any other type of custom tattoos. You need to decide first about the design you want and look for a reputable tattoo artist to do the procedure. The payment for the tattoo will go for the ink, sterile needles and the services of the tattoo artists.
- As for the aftercare procedures needed to make your tattoo look good for the years to come, your tattoo artist will give the instructions right after it is done.
What are the extra costs?
- Aside from the tip that you may consider giving to the tattoo artist, you need to take into consideration the costs that accompany with redoing the tattoo. That is, if your tattoo gets faded fast due to where you had it placed. If you are serious in your art, you know that this is important as this retains the vibrancy and color in your tattoo. This may be an extra cost while other artists do not charge to retouch their own work.
Factors that influence the price:
- Font designs. As we all know, some fonts are difficult to write than others. This also goes for tattooing. If you choose to have a plain font for the word or phrase that will be tattooed in a short period of time, then expect to pay an average price. However, if you prefer to go for font styles that are challenging to reproduce, your tattoo will surely take time. This, in return, influences the overall price.
- Placement of the tattoo. Like traditional tattoos, the location of the tattoo is a big determinant of how long the procedure will take. If your choice of location is in a difficult tattoo spot wherein frequent breaks are required due to pain or uncomfortable positioning for you or the artist, expect to pay a lot higher.
- Number of colors used. The basic rule is that: the price of the tattoo increases with the number of colors used in it and the bigger the size of the tattoo gets. Word tattoos are no exemption for this.
- Location of the tattoo shops. As mentioned, the prices vary from one artist or shop to another. Sad to say, some shops in the country rocket their prices just because they lack competition.
Tips to consider:
- The tattoo should be easy to read and must be done by a reputable tattoo artist. One must choose an artist that specializes in tattoo lettering instead of drawing.
- The tattoo print must not be spaced too close together as this may turn out to be a blob of ink in later years.
- Place the word or quote tattoos in parts of the body that will have the least change over the years such as the ankles, lower back, inner wrists, down the spine, shoulder, and neck.
- The tattoo artist doing your tattoo must wear gloves any time he touches broken skin and should change his gloves regularly. The tools used should also be sterilized.
Questions to ask the tattoo artist:
- Do you have a portfolio where I can see the tattoo works you have done before?
- Do you charge per letter or per hour? What is the average price?
- Can I ask for some references of people for whom you have done a tattoo before?
- Do you have any recommendations about the proper after care for the tattoo?
How can I save money?
- Aside from looking for a reputable tattoo shop that offers affordable price for quality work, you should know the proper care for their tattoo. Thus, you can eliminate the chances of having to go back to the tattoo artist to have another round of inking the skin just to maintain the color and the vibrancy of the word art.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|