How Much Does a Balcony Cost?
A balcony is an elevated platform seen in many houses and buildings. It is protected by railings or balustrades and serves two main purposes: to add an outside appeal for a house, and to serve as a place where the family can spend their leisure time and relax.
Balconies can be of different sizes and designs depending on your preferences. There are wide choices of balcony designs from which to choose. You even have the option of designing your own and letting professionals give you an estimate of the cost.
How much is it?
- The overall cost you will spend for the balcony to be installed in your home depends on the size, design, and the type of materials you are going to use. The railings will cost you just as much as the other materials since these are preferably made of steel or durable wood to make it last. Balconies can start at $3,000 and go up from there. Remember that each and every situation is going to be very different.
- A railing that is made of iron may cost you $100-$200 per linear ft. These are pre-cut and pre-designed.
- Some dealers will offer railing installation on the balcony according to the dimension of the railing. The standard size is 36 to 42 inches in height and 36 to 99 inches in length. These sections will vary in price since you can choose from straight or twisted bars. The cost can be between $150 – $250 per section.
- Glass balconies are usually made to order and are priced from $400 to $2000 depending on the size.
What is going to be included?
- If the balcony materials or the railings are bought online, the shipping may be included. Check with the store to see what the shipping costs are going to be.
What are the extra costs?
- If you have bought the balcony railings online, you may need to hire someone who is skilled and knowledgeable to install it. This means you have to pay the installation cost.
- If you want to add some designs to the railings, you will more than likely pay extra for it.
- A safety rail net is optional; if you choose one, it is going to cost anywhere from $15-$30.
- Most of the prices aren’t going to include the local state taxes.
- If the balcony is going to be added to a structure on the outside, a permit will be necessary to abide by local laws. Permits can start at $100 and go up from there depending on the city and state.
How can I save money?
- Save on creating a balcony by doing it yourself. A job such as this one is a lot of work, so be sure to get advice from a professional if you are unsure what to do.
- Choosing simple designs as long as the materials are durable can also be the best way to save.
- Look for balcony dealers or balcony installation service providers locally to save on shipping costs.
- If you choose to get a professional to install your balcony, use services such as Service Magic to help you find the best companies in your area.