How Much Does a Bassoon Cost?
A bassoon is a woodwind musical instrument that first appeared in the 19th century. This type of instrument is found in orchestral and concert based bands. It is known for its color, wide range, and its character. The bassoon has six distinctive parts and the cost will vary depending on the brand, the quality, and other various factors.
How much is it?
- A new bassoon can cost anywhere from $1,900 to as much as $20,000, making it one of the most expensive musical instruments on the market today. Student models are going to be on the lower end, while the higher price range includes rarer instruments made of quality materials. The average bassoon is going to fall into the $4,000 to $8,000 price range.
- A plastic bassoon is ideal for those starting off with the instrument such as children. A plastic model can cost $1,900 to $4,500. A wood bassoon can cost $3,000 to $9,000 depending on the brand.
- A used bassoon can cost as low as $650 or as high as $12,000 or more.
- For example, the Orpeho Bassoon that comes included with a case can cost $1,600 to $2,900. The Fox Model IV Bassoon can cost $5,000 to $6,200.
What are the extra costs?
- A case will be required to ensure that the instrument is protected from wear and tear while transporting it from one place to another.
- Since a bassoon is rather hard to learn, music lessons may be necessary. Since a bassoon teacher may be hard to find in your area, the price for lessons can greatly vary, depending on the experience of the student and teacher.
- A seat strap may be necessary in order to properly hold the instrument while playing. A stand is another alternative you can choose.
- If a bassoon isn’t maintained properly, additional repairs down the road may be necessary in order to ensure that it plays properly.
What is going to be included?
- Most bassoons come with roller keys, whisper keys, bocals, straps, a swap and strap. If purchasing one online or in store, be sure to inquire what is going to be included, or check with the description/packaging to see the accessories that come with the instrument.
- Some instruments may come equipped with a customized case that fits the instrument.
- Many manufactures and brands will include a limited warranty that can last up to a lifetime. Be sure to read the warranty to see what is covered.
Top brands to consider:
How can I save money?
- Consider purchasing used if the bassoon is going to be used for a classroom or for practice. Don’t purchase a bassoon because of the cheaper price, because you may get what you pay for. Keep in mind that $5,000 or more must be spent to ensure that you get a quality product. eBay is a source to use to find a legitimate, used instrument.
- Check with school classrooms as many tend to get new instruments every few years. While the classroom used instruments may be beat up, you’ll find that it’s a great way to get the hang of the instrument as well as practice with it.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|