How Much Does a Biopsy Cost?
A biopsy is a type of medical test which involves sampling of cells or body tissues that will be used for examination. The samples obtained from a patient are observed under a microscope and will be analyzed chemically to determine if there are any traces of cancer. Cancer is one of the dealiest diseases that can attack people, and one of the best chances of defeating is early detection Since as cancer progresses, it becomes harder to treat. Early detection of cancer can be accomplished through a biposy. Not only can a biopsy detect cancer, but it can also tell what kind of cancer it is and therefore allow the doctor to know the best course of treatment. A biopsy can be categorized as excisional or incisional biopsy; the difference is the type of sample being obtained from the body. While an entire lump is removed for excisional biopsy, only a sample tissue is collected in incisional biopsy.
How much is it?
- Biopsy is performed in different hospitals and the price for the procedure depends heavily on the location where the test will be performed. Samples can be taken from different parts of the body and the price can also differ depending on what part of the body is being tested and whether it is excisional or incisional. The age and gender of the person that requires the test will also affect the price of the biopsy.
- On average, the price of a biopsy without any type of insurance can range anywhere from $500 to as much as $8,000 for each procedure.
- For example, having a prostate biopsy can cost anywhere from $475 to $1,700. The price for the procedure can be cheaper if it is done at the physician’s office, while higher cost should be expected when the procedure is performed at the hospital.
- Higher-end procedures such as a liver or kidney biopsy can range anywhere from $2,000 to as much as $7,500.
- HealthGrades.com offers an insight on the different prices of the procedure in different parts of the country. They even categorize the prices so that it is be easier for patients visiting the site to read and understand the information given. The price for the procedure according to the site ranges from $2,200 to $5,700.
What is going to be included?
- The facilities and equipment that will be used will vary depending on the part of the body from which the sample will be taken. The hospital or surgery center will provide all of the necessary equipment that will be used during the procedure.
- Before the test is performed, the doctor will evaluate the patient, and based on the symptoms found further steps may be suggested.
What are the extra costs?
- Biopsies are considered to be surgeries in the lightest sense, and there is accompanying equipment, such as ultrasound, that can be used to guide the biopsy; the use of these equipments will be considered as an added cost.
- Other medical institutions may charge separately for the different costs involved when having biopsy. The payment for the hospital and physician may be charged separately depending on the institution.
- In order to order a biopsy, a doctor’s visit will be neeeded. After the biopsy, another visit will be necessary to read and discuss the results. These visits will incur extra thoughts
Tips to know:
- The cost of having a biopsy is nothing compared to the benefit it can provide since identifying the disease will be able to help you find the appropriate treatment that will be used to treat the different diseases the patient may have.
How can I save money?
- To save money, it will be a good idea to involve your insurance provider as they can pay for deductions that will greatly reduce the cost of the test. Insurance providers’ coverage can vary depending on the type of plan that you have.
- If the cost of biopsy worries you, try to look for a hospital that can offer it at a lower price or what you think is a fair price since the cost of having a disease that has worsened can be higher in the end. The bottom line is that biopsy can be a life saving procedure that needs to be done if the doctor orders it, regardless of cost.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|