How Much Does a Canoe Cost?
A canoe is a smaller, narrow boat that is powered by a paddle or possibly a smaller boat motor or a sail. A canoe is pointed at both ends and is very similar to a kayak. Most standard canoes can fit 2, while larger canoes can fit up to 4. The cost of a canoe is going to greatly vary depending on the size, the brand, and other various factors.
How much is it?
- On average, a canoe is going to cost anywhere from $430 to as much as $2,600 for a higher end, handcrafted unit. Most purchases are going to be within the $430 to $800 price tag range.
- An inflatable canoe that can be blown up with a simple pump can cost anywhere from $180 to as much as $2,000 for a 14 seater.
- Handcrafted canoes that are made from wood or cedar can cost $900 to $2,600. A higher end canoe such as one made of fiberglass can cost as much as $8,000.
- For example, the KL Industries Water Quest 156 canoe can cost anywhere from $550 to $675. The Advanced Elements Straight Edge can cost $550 to $600.
What are the extra costs?
- To transport the canoe from point A to point B, a rack is going to be required. Racks are designed for larger vehicles such as SUVs and/or trucks. There are racks designed for smaller cars, but they can cost significantly more. A rack can cost anywhere from $70 to $200. You could also purchase or rent a trailer to transport your canoe.
- If the river or body of water is far away, some opt to purchase a carrier that will roll the canoe from the car to the body of water. This way, you don’t have to worry about carrying it along with all of your belongings.
- Many opt to purchase a paddle that is a higher quality compared to the one that the company sends. Some companies may not send a paddle, so be sure to check the packaging description to see what is going to be included.
What is going to be included?
- A set of paddles that generally match the canoe’s overall theme and colors.
- Most manufacturers will include a limited warranty that can last up to a few years.
- Higher end canoes may feature options such as cup holders, cushioned seats, and storage compartments that are water proof.
Top brands to consider:
- KL Industries
- Mad River
- Old Town Canoe
How can I save money?
- Highly consider purchasing a canoe second hand. It’s best to purchase one in the off season when the demand is relatively low. Consider going to places such as eBay or Craigslist.
- Many rivers have canoe rental services where you can rent a canoe. Consider renting one rather than purchasing one for a trip. This way, you don’t have to store it, get a license, etc. It is also a great idea to rent one before you purchase one to get a good feel on what it will be like and to see if you truly enjoy canoeing.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|