How Much Does a Capybara Cost?
A capybara is native to the Venezuela and Columbia areas. It is currently one of the largest rodents in the world. Capybaras have larger shaped bodies with short heads and reddish type fur. They have no tail and can weigh up to 250 pounds. Capybaras tend to hang out in groups of 10 to 20 and can be found in tropical forest type atmospheres. The cost of one can greatly vary depending on the size, quantity, and other factors.
How much is it?
- Capybaras can be found throughout various exotic retailers online. The cost of a Capybara can range from $500 to $1,100 per animal. Purebred animals are going to cost more, while an older Capybara can cost less. Young litters tend to have the highest price tag.
- For example, Kapiyvaexotics.com sell their Capybaras for $600 per animal.
- A breeder in Brazil may be able to send one over from it’s native country. For a Capybara from Brazil, the cost can vary from $2,100 to $5,000, including shipping.
What are the extra costs?
- Vet checkups will be required throughout its life to ensure that the Capybara lives a long, sustaining life. Keep in mind that many veterinarians may not provide care for them since they are a rather rare pet. Vaccinations and checkups annually will be required.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are part of a Capybara’s diet. These will be recommended on a daily basis. They also eat on other foods such as hay. It is important that a Capybara receives a rather good amount of Vitamin C, or else their teeth can break over time.
- Supplies such as a shelter and fenced in areas may be required, since these animals can weigh up to 250 pounds.
What is going to be included?
- Reputable breeders will include any medical paperwork necessary to show what vaccinations that have been done. Other paperwork may be included such as the family history, etc.
- Some breeders may ship the animal for free. Be sure to ask about the shipping fee or what the policy is.
Tips to know:
- The capybara is known to eat only grass and aquatic plants, making their diets rather easy to maintain.
- A capybara loves to hang around the water. In fact, these animals can go underwater for as long as five minutes. The animals are also highly sociable.
- These animals can grow up to 1.5 feet tall and can weigh as much as 100 pounds. They are currently the largest rodents in the world.
- Since the capybara is considered to be an exotic animal, make sure that you check with your local city and state laws to ensure that something such as this would be legal.
How can I save money?
- A Capybara is rather rare to find. If you’re going to consider purchasing one overseas, make sure that you do your homework. Don’t send money up front, until some sort of communication has been made.
- Try to find an owner of a capybara that is looking to sell. This may allow you to get your pet for less money and may include supplies and accessories.