How Much Does a Car Alarm Cost?
A car alarm is a device that is installed in a vehicle to discourage theft of the vehicle and other valuable items inside it. Car alarms emit high volume sound when the programmed conditions are met. Car alarms also allow your vehicle lights to blink which can attract the attention of other people not involved with attempted theft. Car alarms are usually pre built by the manufacturer, although they sell individual car alarms which are considered as OEM. Aftermarket car alarms are also sold. The type of alarm you purchase is the main factor considered for the car alarm’s price.
How much is it?
- The price for basic car alarms can be anywhere from $50 to $300 depending on the brand as well as the features of it. This does not include the installation for the car alarm itself.
- Advanced systems that come equipped with features such as a remote start, talking voice, engine deactivation, as well as sensors or a camera can cost anywhere from $250 to $1,000.
- For example, Amazon sells a car alarm that can be used up to 1,500 feet and has a remote keyless entry that can be programmed with double unlock pulse. This product includes the wiring and everything you need to install the car alarm. A product such as this one can cost anywhere from $40 to $180. Car alarms can also come with the complete installation kit as well as features such as shock sensor, manual transmission start enabler, code encryption, and anti car jacking system.
What are the extra costs?
- Replacement remotes are an added cost if you lose the remote that came with the product that you purchased.
- Most of these devices work with batteries. Depending on your usage, the battery life may decrease depending on the use of the car alarm. Many will have to purchase a new battery at least once during the life of the alarm.
- Professional installation fees are going to range anyhwere from $75 to $400 for a complete install. Basic installation is going to be a lot cheaper than the more complex jobs such as the advanced systems listed above.
What is going to be included?
- The wiring, the remote, a siren, as well as everything else in order to make the car alarm function properly will be included.
- You will be given an installation manual with step by step instructions on how to properly install the car alarm. Those that don’t know how to install it can follow videos and guides online.
- Most major brand name car alarm companies will include a warranty that can last up to a lifetime.
Top brands to consider:
- XO Vision
How can I save money?
- Find reviews for car alarms and get the good one regardless of the price since you car alarm could potentially save you even more.
- Once the installation process is completed, check with your car insurance company to see if you are eligible for a discount.
- Consider searching for car alarms that have an easy installation process. There are some simple alarms that can be installed relatively fast without the use of wires.