How Much Does a Crawfish Cost?
Crawfish is one of the most in demand foods among people who enjoy seafood. Crawfish has the texture and flavor similar to shrimp but the look of a very small lobster. Also known as crayfish, these crustaceans are often used in place of shrimp in different recipes. However, their distinctive flavor separates them from other seafood. This is the reason that it is not surprising that more and more crawfish farms are operating in the country today. After all, this great-tasting, highly nutritious and sustainable seafood can be made into delicious and appetizing meals that will satisfy the seafood-lover in you.
How much does it cost?
- It is hard to give the exact price for crawfish since, like any other seafood, the prices for these crustaceans rise and fall almost every week. These prices can even fluctuate on a daily basis in some areas. However, an overall range of prices can be given. Most crawfish are sold per pound or per sack, but the former is more preferred. The usual price per pound falls between $2 and $5, depending on the nationwide supply.
- Porterseafood.com, for example, sells live crawfish at $2.20 per pound.
- If you prefer your crawfish to be frozen, you can always order a package from a reputable dealer. A particular dealer, for example, sells frozen boiled crawfish sealed in 3-pound bags. Each pound is priced at $4, making the overall price $12. Acadianbayseafoods.com sells these frozen crawfish that will be readily served after being steamed. Live crawfish is also sold by the said supplier. Each sack of live crawfish ranges from 30-40 pounds and each pound is $4, meaning that the sack will cost between $120 and $160.
- Many suppliers give discounts to their clients anytime they purchase large orders. Louisianasbestseafood.com is one these companies that offers discounts. Their regular price is $ 2.05 per lb, but you can get it at $1.98 per lb if you purchase 5 sacks or more. Each sack has approximately 40 pounds of crawfish. For other semi-processed crawfish, there are different price ranges set. The boiled domestic frozen crawfish, for example, is priced at $2.85 per lb.
What is going to be included?
- When you want to order crawfish, it is suggested that you opt for the live ones. This is to ensure that what you will get is as fresh as possible. Thus, it is a must for the suppliers to deliver the crawfish alive. Some stores have direct contacts from farmers and suppliers to make sure that your crawfish is straight from the farm.
- As mentioned, the crawfish is sold per pound or by package. Basically, the crawfish will be weighed and you will get what you have paid for. No other inclusions will be given. However, it must be noted that most of these stores require a minimum order of one sack of crawfish averaging between 36-42 lbs per sack.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping fees. A few crawfish suppliers have an inclusive price for the crawfish and for the delivery. However, most of these suppliers will have a separate payment for delivery. After all, the delivery is very crucial as the suppliers will ensure that the crawfish will arrive alive at your doorstep. As per Louisiana’s Best Seafood, air cargo charges will be from airport to airport.
- Dipping Sauce and other Enhancements. Whether you buy live crawfish and cook it on your own or purchase the processed kind, you will appreciate the taste of it if you choose to dip it in a dipping sauce specially made to complement the taste. Although these are not necessary, this will add to the flavor and give you your ultimate crawfish experience. Some people also choose to simply dip the crawfish into melted butter.
Factors that affect the price:
- Season. Like any other type of seafood, the price for crawfish is determined by the supply, which is in turn influenced by the season. It is known that crawfish prices are subject to change as season progresses due to weather and availability conditions. Crawfish prices are lowest during spring and summer months.
- Suppliers/Dealers. In comparison to other businesses, crawfish prices vary as they are only determined by suppliers. Some suppliers charge a bit higher compared to others. This competition keeps the prices lower for the consumer.
Tips to know:
- Keep live crawfish cool and moist between 40 and 50 degrees Fahrenheit by using wet towels on top of live crawfish bags.
Questions to ask:
- What is the minimum number of pounds I can order?
- How fresh are your live crawfish for local delivery?
- What sizes (grades) of live crawfish does your company carry?
- Can I buy live crawfish year round? If not, what will be the best times to purchase them?
How can I save money?
- Aside from looking for a dealer or supplier in your area, you can save a great deal of money if you will order in bulk. As mentioned, those who have bulk orders will get a discount. This is favorable if you own a restaurant since you will need plenty of supply.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|