How Much Does a Dock Cost?
A dock is a structure the extends from land out into the water. Docks can come in many different sizes and shapes and can be made from different materials. While docks have many purposes, the main purpose of a dock is to restrain a boat while allowing passengers to get on and off the boat. Boating has become more than just a hobby for many people. Enthusiasts for the activity always consider having their own boat dock as this could really help ease their use of the boat. Rather than having to visit a boat launch to put in and take out your boat each time you use it, you can have your own dock and simply leave your boat in the water. Dock building is quite an intricate and complex process, but it can certainly be rewarding as long as you know the right types of material and style to use.
Typically, there are two major docks from which you can choose: floating docks and the piling types. Each offers different features, and if you are concerned about the costs, then it would depend on the type and size of the dock that you want to build.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a floating dock can cost anywhere from $18 to $30 per square foot of space that is used. Most of the time this is for materials and will not include professional installation costs.
- Weather is considered as an important element that will relate to the overall expenses that you have to pay for the boat dock.
- On the site RollingBarge.com, it is stated that you should set aside $24 to $30 per square foot.
- The piling types of dock can be around $35 to as high as $60 per square foot for the initial cost.
- Customboatdocks.com states there are plenty of options when it comes to the type of boat docks, and these range from the aluminum down to the custom built types. The costs would again vary according to the design, the materials, and the style used in the creation of the docks.
What is going to be included?
- For a floating dock, the basic composition that you can see for the boat docks is the presence of drums that are tied with the frame and the decking boards. These drums are the materials that enable to boat to float freely. It is noted that the barrels of drums can only accommodate a certain amount of weight.
- Piling boat docks are constructed in such a way that it comes with the driving pilings, which are somewhat similar to that of the telephone poles. These pilings are usually driven down into the sand to provide support for the boat dock structure. The soil under the water must be able to work solidly with the pilings to provide durability and strength.
What are the extra costs?
- If you want to attach some electrical outlets to the dock, then you have to pay around $1,000 or more to have this option. Because the wires and cables for the outlets need to be so stable and durable, you have to consider high quality materials.
- Extra costs would also be needed for the floating docks in terms of wires and ropes to tie the barrels together.
- Adding a ramp next to the dock can add thousands to the overall cost depending on the area and setup.
- Adding a ladder can cost $300 to $500.
- Some boat owners decide to add a boat lift to the dock. This mechanism allows you to lift your boat out of the water when it is not in use and then put it right back in at the push of a button. For more information, see “How much does a boat lift cost?“
Factors that influence the price:
- The materials that you choose to create your dock will play a major factor in the amount of money you have to spend for the boat dock.
- Weather conditions also play a huge factor in the costs of the dock.
- The type of soil in which the dock pilings will be placed is also a major factor as the softer it is the higher the costs.
- Labor costs would also depend on the complexity of the procedure.
Tips to know:
- Choose deck materials that are very durable and safe to use. The fewer the accidents that happen on them, the better it will be.
- If you do not need the lifts, then avoid them. However, if the constant exposure of the boat in the water is going to result in rust, it may be best to have a lift since protection from the elements can save you money on repairs and restoration.
How can I save money?
- If you want to save some money on your boat docks, then you can consider renting from others. There are plenty of other boat owners who want to rent their spaces out, and you might consider it. However, if you really want to build your own, then it is best to have a professional team do it for you.
- If you are serious about getting a dock installed, using services such as HomeAdvisor.com can help you find a handful of quotes instantly in your local area for no charge.
- It is possible to build your own dock for much cheaper than it would be to have it made professionally. There are many resources available online that can help you accomplish this.