How Much Does a Dongle Cost?
A dongle is a portable piece of hardware with software installed inside it that can be plugged into any USB port in a computer, which then allows the software to run. Technically speaking, it can contain additional memory, Bluetooth or a WiFi connection and serve as an adapter for other devices to be connected. These days, dongles are most commonly used as mobile broadband modems, which means that they can hook up to the internet through their phone subscriptions wherever they may be. Advancements in technology have certainly made things more convenient for everyone.
The prices of dongles vary according to its function and make. Name brand dongles tend to command higher prices while generic dongles are widely available at very low prices.
How much does it cost?
- One of the common uses of dongles is used to give a computer bluetooth capabilities by plugging it into a USB port. These types of dongles can cost anywhere from $4 to as much as $65 for a higher-end model. Do not plan on spending more than $20 for one that gets the job done, though.
- According to Bluesoleil.com, a well-known brand that supplies computer peripherals and accessories, the price of a bluetooth dongle can range from $42 to $67.
- The lowest mini dongle quoted on the mentioned website was $42, and that particular model gives a Bluetooth capability under class II or 10 meters and works with BlueSoleil cPhoneTool.
- A lower priced dongle such as the Bluetooth USB 2.0 Dongle retails for $3 to $20 on Amazon.
- When used as a WiFi dongle, this hardware provides WiFi connectivity to a computer that does not have a built-in Wi-Fi modem. These type of dongles can cost anywhere from $3 to as much as $30.
- A dongle designed for dual monitors on a desktop can retail for $10 to $50.
- A GPS dongle can retail for $25 to as much as $150.
What is going to be included?
- Dongles are made and distributed by established brand names, which include license to work with the specified software. But to avoid piracy, the specified software will be made available only through a link provided in an email after the online purchase.
- Dongles will come with instructions for use and hook-up. Any cables needed for it to work will be included in the purchase.
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth dongles, depending on their capacity and function, allow instant integration of your computer with other devices within its specified range. Every dongle will have its own range.
- Dongles are small and compact enough to through in a laptop bag and easily be transported.
What are the extra costs?
- To use an internet dongle for 3G use, you need to have 3G network subscriptions through your mobile or wireless provider. This will incur extra cost for the service through your internet service provider, but it is very much worth it if you need to be connected all the time no matter where you are. 3G subscription prices can start at $20 per month and go up from there depending on the carrier that you choose.
- You need to be careful when using this tool to provide you with internet through your cell phone provider. Most cell phone plans have a certain limit to the amount of usage. While this limit is usually fairly high, it would be very easy to lose track of how much you have used when you are using a dongle to use your phone’s 3G. If you go over your data usage, you will owe your cell phone provider extra money for that month.
- If you need a dongle for multiple purposes, you may have to purchase more than one type.
Factors that influence the price:
- The manufacturer and distributor greatly influence the market price of a dongle; this price is usually determined by the function for which the dongle was designed. Branded dongles are generally pricier than generic ones.
- If a dongle’s function is for expanded memory, its capacity will also matter to the price. The larger the capacity, the higher the price will be.
Tips to know:
- Dongles have individual varied functions. There is no one dongle yet that could serve as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi connection, expanded memory and others with an all-in-one functionality. Before purchasing one, make sure you know and specify what you particularly need one for so you will not make the mistake of getting the dongle for the wrong function.
- Dongles are great for those who are one the road a lot rather than sitting in an office. Make sure you look at your situation to determine if you actually need one or not.
How can I save money?
- If you will be using this dongle frequently for Wi-Fi functionality, some telecommunication companies offer dongles free of charge if you subscribe for a minimum period of time.
- By purchasing a dongle used, you can often pick one up for less than $5.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|