How Much Does a Fancy Rat Cost?
Fancy rats are domesticated rats that even children would love to have as pets. These rats are very sociable and they come in variety of colors and coat types. Many pet shops and breeders often sell these as long as local laws permit it. The cost of a fancy rat is going to vary on its breed, the size, as well as the breeder/store selling one.
How much is it?
- Prices of fancy rats will vary depending on the breeders. On average, expect to pay anywhere from $10 to $50 for one rat.
- Hairless fancy rats cost an average $20 to $32 each.
- Baby rats that are only a few days old can cost $10 to $20 for 5 to 10 rats.
- There are rats which can be bought in pairs, including their cage, for prices ranging between $45-$65.
- You can also buy pregnant fancy rats for as low as $45 to $60.
What is going to be included?
- There are pet shops that offer a satisfaction guarantee good for 10 to 15 days. This time period is available to ensure that the purchased pet is healthy and free from illnesses. If the pet becomes ill within this period, you can return it for a replacement or you may ask for a refund of the purchased price.
- Depending on the price, the cage may or may not be included. This is all going to depend on the shop selling it. Many may have starter packs that include food, accessories, and more.
What are the extra costs?
- You will spend an extra money above and beyond the simple cost of the rat. Like all other pets, fancy rats have special needs that owners need to address, such as the sticks that fancy rats should chew to stop their front teeth from growing
- Fortified diet foods are required to keep them healthy; also necessary is a ventilated cage with accessories and enough space for the food dish and water, some hiding and climbing toys, and other items. While some of these features are optional, many rat owners prefer to have them.
- The cage of the fancy rat may cost as low as $10 and can even be more depending on the size and inclusion of some accessories. The smaller the cage, the cheaper the price. Overall, you can spend up to around$50 for the cages plus the accessories.
- Usually, shipping and handling is not included. Most breeders will recommend that you pick up the rat yourself.
Tips to know:
- Make sure that the cage is made from a hard wire. Since these rats love to climb, this wire enables them to do so.
- Add special accessories to the cage such as a ladder or PVC pipe.
- Be sure to keep the cage away from a shelf and even from sunlight. Try to keep the cage maintained at 70 to 75 degrees.
How can I save money?
- There are pet shops that offer discounted prices for their newer breeds of fancy rats. You can also look for younger rats, since they are available for a cheaper price.
- Check with local ads and rescue shelters in your area as some people may need to get rid of their pet rats for various reasons. In some cases, rats can even be had for no charge.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|