How Much Does a Fur Coat Cost?
A fur coat is a form of clothing that is made from the skins of animals. Animal fur was the original type of clothing that humans used to cover themselves, and this tradition has continued to today.
How much is it?
- In most cases, the cost of a fur coat will depend on the quality, the type of fur, size, designer label, and the store selling it. On average, a fur coat can range anywhere from as little as $4,000 on the lower end to the tens of thousands for a vintage fur coat. Most of the time, any fur coat under $5,000 will not be made of a quality material.
- According to an eBay guide, you should be willing to budget anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 for a decent fur coat. However, a fine coat could reach as high as $50,000 if it uses a special construction technique and is made from a designer label.
- Dittrichfurs.com states that the cost of a fur coat will depend on the skin origin, size, length and sweep. They say if you are purchasing a coat less than $2,500, then you are more than likely purchasing a defective coat.
What is going to be included?
- The average fur coat can be made of beaver, lynx, coyote or a red fox felt. The type of fur that is used will determine the look, feel, thickness, and color of the coat.
- Some fur coats will be short, some knee length, and others to the floor. Some coats may have features such as a hood and pockets while others will be plain with a simple collar.
- Fur coats will usually be closed by a few buttons or a belt; very few will have a zipper.
- Many department stores such as Bloomingdale’s, Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus sell fur coats.
- Fur coat retailers should include a standard alteration, a monogram, appraisal certificate and I.D. tag.
What are the extra costs?
- To compliment a coat, you may have to buy a wrap, shawl or hat as an additional accessory.
- The country can dictate the price. China tends to be on the lower end, while the United States and Europe tend to have pricier coats.
- Reversible fur coats can cost extra.
- If you need to store your fur coat for the winter, additional fees can apply. The same can be said about cleaning it. If you fail to clean it, the fur can start to dry out. SEE: “How much does a fur coat cleaning cost?“
- An insurance policy can be an additional cost. However, this may end up saving you money if something should happen to your coat.
- A lining protector can cost up to $50.
Tips to know:
- By law, the tag should state where the origin of the fur coat was made from. If you cannot find the origin, be sure to look elsewhere.
- Where was it manufactured? This information is also required by law to be on the tag.
- If you are going to buy a fur coat with a liner, check out the construction of the coat to see how clean the stitches are. If any fur is caught in the stitches, it can often show that it was made from craftsmanship.
- A good fur coat will not use any kind of leather.
- Choose your fur coat based on your needs. There are some types of fur that provide a lot more warmth than others. Do some research to see which type of fur is best for your average climate.
- Check the underside of the label to see if it carries a pelt label. These labels will indicate the origin of the fur coat and any sort of endorsement. Pay close attention for the North American Fur Association, American Legend Mink Cooperative and Saga Furs of Scandinavia label.
- A fur coat is usually a very prestigious buy and is something that you will want to keep in your family since it can be worth even more in the future. Consider making the beneficiary of the coat official so that there is no confusion.
- There are many people and organizations that feel it is cruel to wear authentic animal fur.
How can I save money?
- Consider looking for slightly used fur coats on Craigslist and eBay.
- No matter what your budget is, make sure that you explore as many options as possible. Instead of buying online, always try to see, feel and try out the coat on in person.
- Always do as much research as you can ahead of time. Since the market is filled with fakes, it is always best to buy a coat in person.