How Much Does a Guppy Cost?
The guppy fish is considered the most popular aquarium fish species and is also known as one of the least expensive types of fish. Guppies are known for their colorful variations and attractive tails.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the variety, the cost of a guppy can be as little as $0.10 to as much as $125. However, most average guppy purchases will be less than $25.
- According to FishChannel.com, guppies cost $0.10 each for the common varieties up to $25 to $50 and up for a trio (one male, two females) of top-quality guppies. The site adds that a lot of stores sell guppies in pairs, but there are also many that sell males and females separately at various prices, with the reason being that male guppies are more vibrant and showy.
- At GuppyLodge.com, a pair of prize-winning fancy guppies cost $15 to $112 while a trio costs $19 to $153.
- At LiveAquaria.com, prices of various types of fancy guppies start at $4.99. The price for a new item like the Purple Snowflake Guppy starts at $7.49 while a Moscow Black Velvet Guppy starts at $9.99.
What is going to be included?
- Guppies can be bought individually, in pairs, or in trios. Special requests for different guppy combinations such as all male guppies or all female guppies are also accommodated at some guppy suppliers.
- Many strains or types of guppies have been developed over the years. Guppy standards range from large strains to sword strains and short strains. Large strains include the following: flag tail, triangle tail, fan tail and veil tail. Sword strains include the double sword, upper sword, lower sword and lyre tail. Short strains include spade tail, spear tail, round tail and pin tail. The average guppy only grows up to three inches.
- The most common colors of guppies available are blue, red, green and yellow. Fancy guppies come in practically any color and in a few albino strains. Males show the most color and often have the biggest fins. Better strains have females with a moderate degree of color in their dorsal and tails. Most guppies typically have very little color.
What are the extra costs?
- Guppy food needs to be bought separately. Some guppy dealers sell their own guppy food formulated solely for raising and breeding quality show guppies. This type of food can cost about $38 for a 100-gram pack and around $48 for a 200-gram pack.
- If this is going to be your first fish, do not forget about the start-up costs, such as an aquarium. It is recommended that a guppy gets an aquarium that is at least 10 gallons. Starting up a 10-gallon fish tank with a filter and some decorations will probably cost from $50 to $75.
- Shipping costs may be charged separately if you purchase the fish online. At some online guppy dealers, shipping a #4 size shipping box for guppies including the heat pack can cost about $7.
Tips to know:
- Guppies are livebearers and every month or so, females can produce a litter of babies that are fully formed miniatures of their parents.
- To get a true strain of guppy, it is recommended to buy only from guppy breeders rather than from a hatchery, wholesaler or local fish stores, which likely have guppies that been commingled. Guppies that have gone through even a few generations of random mating with other types of fish can easily revert to the wild-looking fish and cause them to lose their beautiful but artificially-bred tail color and size.
- It is recommended that a tank’s water temperature should be from 23 to 28 degree Celsius. Water quality is often not too crucial an issue because guppies are naturally a hardy type of fish.
- The water in the aquarium needs to be changed at least once a month, but every other week is even better. The fresher the water, the better the environment for the fish.
How can I save money?
- Guppies can be bought for 10 cents at some dealers and for a little over $10 a pair at other vendors, with the price usually depending on the strain of the guppy fish. If you wish to have guppies at low prices, your choice can be limited to the less colorful and less showy ones.
- If you are in need of a fish tank to start, consider looking for used sets at garage sales or through sites such as Ebay and Craigslist. A fish tank is something that many people buy with goon intentions but never actually get used. A second-hand tank can still be in very good condition.