How Much Does a Hair Cut Cost?
A fresh haircut can do marvels for your look and your confidence. However, in these days of topnotch hairdressers and ridiculous prices, a beauty transformation can thin out your wallet. The cost of a haircut is going to depend on the location, the type of haircut that you want, the experience of your hair stylist, and whether you will have any extras done.
How much is it?
- For a lower grade haircut salon such as Fantastic Sam’s or Great Clips, the cost is going to range anywhere from $7 for a cut to $40 or more for a shampoo and cut.
- Walmart, The Hair Cuttery, Sports Clips, Supercuts and other franchise-based chains all have very similar pricing. Haircuts are going to range anywhere from $7 to $20 for a simple cut.
- Higher-end salons are going to charge anywhere from $45 to as much as $250 for a cut and shampoo alone. The more credibility a salon has, the higher the price tag will be.
- It really depends on what type hair cut you are getting & how much hair is getting cut off. On average, a haircut will range anywhere from $7 to $90.
- A children’s cut can be less than an adult cut at many places. Some salons may run a special for children currently attending school.
What are the extra costs?
- A tip isn’t going to be included in the overall price tag but most stylists are going to expect one. Tips usually range anywhere from 5% – 15% of the total price.
- If you would like anything extra such as color, highlights, extensions, etc., this will be an extra cost.
- Most salons will have products that a customer can purchase after the haircut such as shampoos and conditioners. Consider this an additional cost if one opts to purchase supplies such as this.
- For a trim of a beard or mustache, this can be an additional charge as most don’t include this with their haircut package.
What is going to be included?
- The haircut will usually include pre-haircut shampoo services or post-haircut styling unless services are noted differently. Results may vary in your location.
- Upon arriving at the salon, the stylist will simply ask what you would like to have done. The average job can last anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes.
How can I save money?
- Cut your own hair or have it done by someone you know. You or your friends can be hairstylists. You can watch hair cutting videos on websites or check out book guides on styling hair.
- Watch for salon ads for special promo prices; some may have discounts on packages. Several independent salons and stylists have what they call “special” days in which salons discount their prices in some days of the week due to less client activity.
- Many local cosmetology schools and hair salons hold activities during which they offer stylist-in-training specials or apprentice deals such as low- to no-cost haircuts. The services are provided under the supervision of certified advanced-skill-level hair experts and salon professionals.
- Many hair salons will accept competitor coupons. Be sure to call ahead of time to see if your salon is willing to accept these.