How Much Does a Harp Cost?
The harp is a multi stringed instrument that has been used since what seems like the beginning of time. Its musical qualities present a sophisticated sound that can capture everyone’s attention as it is very soothing and very pleasant to the ears. There are several types of harps that are sold on the market. Most of them have different counts of strings attached to it and this can be a factor for a price difference. They are made out of different materials which can cause price changes as well.
How much is it?
- On average, a higher end harp that weighs over 90 pounds with 44 strings can cost upwards of $10,000 to $15,000. A lower end harp that has 19 strings can cost $3,500 to $5,000.
- A lap harp that can fit on a lap can cost anywhere from $20 to as much as $550. This will depend on the brand and more just like a regular sized harp.
- Full sized harps vary in price as well. A student harp that has 44 strings and has straight soundboard can cost $11,300 to $15,500.
- Concert harps can cost $13,800 to $19,000. Grand concert harps are also available. These are the higher end harps that can cost $19,000 to 32,500.
- The Heather Harp brand has one that has 22 strings attached to it. This brand can cost anywhere from $300 to $400.
- Lily Harp’s strings are made out of durable dupont nylon and have an approximated 15” height which can be very compact. This type of harp is available for $45 to $90.
- Something small and simple such as a jaw harp can cost anywhere from $1 to $25. While this isn’t technically a “harp,” it’s more for children and beginners. These are also known as a mouth harp as well.
- Something unique such as a harp guitar can cost $500 to $9,000. The reason that these types can be so expensive is because they are rather hard to find.
What are the extra costs?
- Custom finishes are available to add a classical look to your harp. These finishes vary from two tone finishes to hand painted soundboards. Depending on the finish, this can cost anywhere from $450 to $2,900.
- Additional strings may be required so that you always have extra if some happen to break. If you’re unsure of how to attach new strings, a professional music company may be needed in order to string it properly.
- Accessories such as cleaner and a case are needed for all types of harps to help protect the finish.
- For advanced lessons, a harp teacher may be needed. Most lessons can cost $50 to $150 per session.
What is going to be included?
- Most companies will offer a warranty or guarantee based on the type of harp you purchased. These warranties can last up to a lifetime depending on the company.
- A tuning tool may also be included in case a string breaks and you need to tune its replacement.
How can I save money?
- If you’re a beginner, buy a harp that is tailored for students.
- Compare prices from different companies to get the best quotes for a harp. If possible, check sites such as eBay to see what you can get used.