How Much Does a Headstone Cost?
A headstone, also known as a tombstone or gravestone, is a marker used in a cemetery on top of a burial site. A headstone goes as far back as the 18th century, recognized as one of the oldest forms of cemetery art. A headstone consists of a name, date of birth, the date of death, and can include other information such as a quote or summary of the person’s life. There are also headstones that can provide more than one name. The cost of a headstone is going to all depend on the size of the stone, the design, the material that is going to be used to make it, the number of characters engraved, as well as other factors.
How much is it?
- A flat, simple headstone that is made of granite can cost anywhere from $300 to $550. The price greatly depends the type of material used, the coloring of the stone, as well as the amount of lettering that is going to be placed on the stone.
- A pillow top headstone, which stands a few inches off the ground, can cost anywhere from $350 to $2,300.
- An upright headstone which can stand as high as 36″ can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $7,500. Generally, the more advanced the design, the more it is going to cost. For example, a headstone designed like a heart will cost $1,500 to $4,500 more than a square shaped headstone.
- Headstones designed as a bench can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $2,900. A bench headstone will have the name either engraved into the seat or the back of the bench.
What are the extra costs?
- If a material such as bronze or granite is used, the cost may increase depending on the headstone purchased. For example, a smaller headstone made of bronze could cost $800 to $1,200 instead of $300 to $500.
- While many companies online will engrave all the necessary information onto the head stone, it may be extra depending on what needs to be put on the stone. If the death date has to be engraved in the future, it will cost an extra $100 to $250 extra, depending on the cemetery policy.
- Due to the weight of these headstones, shipping fees will more than likely apply. Check the company’s shipping policy to learn more.
- To have the headstone installed in a cemetery, additional fees will apply. Most cemeteries will charge a fee that can range from $50 to $400 depending on the size of the stone.
What is going to be included?
- A headstone will come in many various shapes and designs. While most can be chosen out of a book or from a pamphlet, some can be customized. Once purchased, a headstone will be created using the materials of choice. Turnaround dates can range anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks.
- Manufacturers may allow you to include unlimited lettering, as well as customized artwork to place on the stone.
How can I save money?
- Check with headstone manufactures online. You may find that online manufactures are going to be cheaper than a local cemetery. While it always is not the case, it is best to get at least 3 quotes.
- Veterans of the United States military may be eligible for a free monument marker through the Department of the Veterans Affairs.
- Purchasing the headstone prior to death can save some money since there is a longer timeline and no rush order. However, the date of death will have to be put on eventually.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|