How Much Does a HIV Test Cost?
An HIV test can help a person determine whether they are victim of the HIV virus. Gaining the knowledge that you are sick with a virus or a disease can be devastating. For this reason, many people are afraid to be tested. However, by getting tested, you will be able to have the peace of mind of knowing the result. If you are HIV positive, knowing would allow you to get treated and take care of yourself. Finding out this information is also vital to helping stop the spread of the disease. The HIV virus is usually spread through sexual contact with a person who is infected. Because of this, a person who is found to be HIV positive needs to take the responsibility of becoming abstinent or taking the proper precautions to prevent others from getting the disease.
How much does a HIV test cost?
- There are several ways to get tested for the presence of the HIV virus. You can visit a laboratory and have the test performed there, or you can buy a test kit from your local drug store. In order to have an accurate test, these kits should be approved by the FDA. The cost to get an HIV test will depend on whether you go to clinic or do it yourself and what type of test is done.
- On average, a test that can be taken at home can cost anywhere from $20 to $60, while a test done at the doctor’s office can cost as much as $85, not including the doctor’s office fee.
- For example, the highly rated Home Access HIV 1 Express test retails for $50 to $65. Once the test is taken, the results will be shipped to a lab and the user will receive the results within three days.
- The website HIVSymptomsOnline.com provides a wealth of resources containing information about the virus. The cost to have the test according to the site can range from $30 to $50.
- The PubMed Center also provides information regarding the HIV virus. They give information regarding the different procedures done to detect HIV, which includes a test that can cost $60 to $85 according to their site.
What is going to be included?
- If you purchase a kit from a drugstore, you will receive the complete testing materials. All you have to do is to take a blood sample and bring the specimen to a laboratory or mail it. Once this is done, the lab will provide the results for you.
- If you have the test performed in a laboratory, they will take your blood sample and provide the results to you as well. Results generally take three to five days.
What are the extra costs?
- Purchasing a test kit from a drugstore will not provide you the results of the test since you will have to take the specimen to a laboratory where the specimen will be checked for the results. The laboratory will usually charge for gathering the results of the test.
- After getting the results of the test, you would still have to bring the results to the doctor so they can confirm the test results.
- Doctor’s office fees can start at $50. This fee will generally be charged on in addition to the lab work.
Tips to know:
- A HIV test should be taken by people who are sexually active even if they wear protection during intercourse. Getting tested is part of their responsibility since this will identify if they have the virus. Knowing that they have the virus would give them time to seek treatment and prevent further spreading of the virus.
- Always consult with a doctor when you have the test results. This will guarantee that the reading will be accurate and will ease your mind from the anxiety of waiting to find out whether or not you have the virus.
How can I save money?
- Consider visiting a laboratory directly to have the test performed. The facility will be housed with equipment that will be used to identify if you have the virus, which will save you money since the price for testing and reading can be offered in a package.