How Much Does a Hot Spot Cost?
A hot spot is basically a portable router that you can access the internet through. Just like a router at home, a hot spot can be taken on the go and can be accessed anywhere a cellphone signal is active.
How much does it cost?
- According to HotSpotPA.com, you will need a hot spot compatible phone and cellphone service provider if you want to take advantage of the available hot spot. If you do not have a compatible phone, you may need a hot spot enabled router. Your total investment for the hot spot will not be more than $100 if you sign a contract.
- If you do not plan on signing a contract, most compatible devices can cost anywhere from $250 to as much as $400. This will not include the monthly data fees.
- ComputerWorld.com claims that mobile hot spots can cost anywhere from $50 to $100 with a contract or $270 to $300 without one.
- For instance, Verizon has the Jetpack MiFi which can hook up to 10 Wi-Fi enable gadgets. This particular device can cost $50, but the plans Verizon has to offer can range anywhere from $50 to $80 per month.
- Plan on spending at least $15 or more per month to tether your phone and turn it into a hot spot.
- In addition to your cell phone, hot spots can also be used with laptops. You simply have to connect to the available Wi-Fi in the store or restaurant.
- If you want to offer your customers a Wi-Fi connection to which they can connect, you simply need to have a wireless router installed. You will then need to have a monthly service provider, which will cost $100-$200 per month.
What is going to be included?
- A hot spot is going to tap into your cell phone’s 3G or 4G network by using a built-in WiFi router. A WiFi enabled device will then be able to connect to your cell phone since it has now turned into a mobile wireless router.
- Data speeds generally go as high as 15 Mbps.
- Average hot spots can serve upwards of 10 devices at once.
What are the extra costs?
- If you want to upgrade your connection speeds, the charges that you are going to pay will be your extra cost. Depending on how much data you are going to use, average plans will range anywhere from $25 to $100 or more per month.
- If you are trying to offer wireless internet to your customers, you will need to purchase and install a wireless router. You will also want to have some sort of security program installed to protect yourself as well as those connected to your internet.
- If you reach the data cap that your carrier allows, most charge $10 to $20 per GB that you go over.
$50 for 5GB
$44 to $89 for 3GB to 10GB
$50 for 5GB; $80 for 10GB
Factors that influence the price:
- Speed of the Internet Service Provider. The faster the internet connection will be, the more you will be charged per month. This is concerned with the strength of the signal.
- Wi-Fi Router Model. Some models that can cover a wider range of areas will be more expensive than those that can only cover a small range of area. The is known as the signal coverage.
Tips to know:
- It is wise to know if what your desired connection speed is. If you like browsing videos and media that hogs bandwidth, then you might need a faster connection. But if you browse seldom and only check email, then you might only need an ordinary connection. Always check your preferences if you want to be satisfied. There is no need to spend the extra money for 4G when a slower speed will suit your needs just fine.
- If you want to connect more than one WiFi device, you need a router that can manage the number of devices that you are looking to connect. Each router will usually have a maximum number of devices that you can hook up.
- In today’s society, hot spots can be found in almost every restaurant, coffee shop, book store, etc. Even most fast food restaurants offer it. Because of the wide availability, the cost you are charged to be able to use a mobile hot spot will not be money wasted.
How can I save money?
- Most internet providers offer a free telephone and free WiFi router if you sign a long-term contractor deal. This way, you can save money because you will no more buy your own router since you acquired it for free; just remember, however, that you will be tied into a contract for at least two years. Make sure that it is something that you are willing to do.