How Much Does a Jet Ski Cost?
A Jet Ski is a type of vehicle that is used on water mainly for recreational purposes. Contrary to popular belief, the Jet Ski is a brand name for a personal watercraft manufactured by Kawasaki Heavy Industries. The Jet Ski is often identified as the BMX of water sports since there are plenty of tricks that can be performed using this watercraft. The price of a Jet Ski varies depending on the brand, features, condition and where it’s purchased from.
How much is it?
- On average, a jet ski can cost as little as $1,500 used to as much as $15,000. When shopping for a jet ski, it will be fairly comparable to purchasing a car. The year, features, mileage, the number of passengers it fits, the model, and more will dictate the price range.
- Kawasaki, a popular company that manufacturers Jet Skis directly, has a wide selection of newer Jet Skis that can be purchased through a local dealer. Newer Jet Skis on the site can range anywhere from $5,000 to $15,000.
- For example, the 2011 Jet Ski 800 SX-R which can hold 1 passenger has a MSRP of $7,899. A 3 passenger Jet Ski has an MSRP that ranges from $8,999 to $15,000. The Jet Ski ULTRA 300LX has a $14,999 MSRP.
- Used Jet Skis can commonly be found on sites such as Craigslist and eBay. On average, a decent used Jet Ski can cost $2,700 to $8,000. Many sellers often include two jet skis and a trailer, which can make it a rather good deal compared to purchasing one new.
What are the extra costs?
- Registration and insurance will be required. Each state has its own law when it comes down to registering a watercraft.
- A trailer will be necessary to tow the watercraft if one is not included with your purchase.
- Maintenance will cost extra if any problems persist in the future. A Jet Ski is a vehicle that needs to be taken care of like any other vehicle. There are maintenance procedures that need to be followed to make sure that the Jet Ski works properly. For example, a common part that need to replaced is the battery.
What is going to be included?
- Major brands will include a warranty which can last up to 5 years.
- Each and every Jet Ski will be unique just like a car. It will have an engine that is powered by fuel and a battery, and will have features such as mirrors, speedometers, and more. Additional features on higher end models can include security devices, a rear swim platform, a back seat for those that fit more than one passenger, and more.
Top brands to consider:
How can I save money?
- Highly consider purchasing a used model. This is a great way to save up to 60% off on your purchase. You may want to bring a mechanic with you to find out if the Jet Ski is still in good condition.
- You can opt to rent Jet Skis in case you will not use them often enough to warrant a purchase. There are companies that lease Jet Skis and they can cost considerably less than buying one. See: “How much does it cost to rent a jet ski?“