How Much Does a Kindle Cost?
The Kindle is the latest craze in handheld electronics. Although it has many functions, the Kindle is specifically designed for readers to be able to carry thousands of books in one small device. This electronic weighs less than a pound and offers a 6-inch reading area. This would be the perfect gift for the book-lover in your life.
How much does a kindle cost?
- The original Kindle, which has a 6-inch reading area, can be purchased for $139. This Kindle has wi-fi capabilities, but does not have 3G wireless connection.
- The Kindle 2nd Generation, also with a 6-inch reading area, will cost around $189. This version of the Kindle has both wi-fi and 3G wireless connections.
- The Kindle DX, the newest edition of the Kindle, boasts a 9.7-inch reading area and costs $379. It has the largest memory of all the Kindle versions and is also fully equipped with wi-fi and 3G wireless connections.
- The Kindle Touch 3G that allows the user to access 3G hot spots can retail for $149.00.
- The newest generation that includes the Kindle Fire retails for $199. This model has a color touchscreen, rich color display, fast dual-core processor and is very easy to use.
What is going to be included?
- A power cord and charger will be sent with your Kindle to recharge the battery.
- Software for your computer will allow you to hook up the Kindle to a computer and download books and other files.
- Some books are available for free download when you purchase a Kindle at the Kindle Store.
What are the extra costs?
- The one unavoidable extra cost of the Kindle or Kindle DX is the cost of purchasing books for download. Downloading a book costs an average of $10, although some can be as expensive as $30.
- Also available to Kindle users are subscriptions to newspapers, magazines, etc. These can cost anywhere from $5-$15 per month depending on the frequency of the issue and the popularity of the title.
- There are many cases designed not only for looks but also for protection. These can be found at the Kindle Store.
- There are many websites, such as Free e-books, that offer Kindle users many free titles for download.
Types of kindles:
- Kindle: The original Kindle has Wi-Fi capabilities, a 6″ screen, 2GB storage and weighs a pinch under 6 ounces.
- Kindle Touch: The Kindle Touch has a 6″ E Ink Pearl screen, 4GB capacity and offers the first touch screen for the Kindle.
- Kindle Keyboard: Equipped with a small keyboard, this model offers both Wi-Fi and 3G capabilities, 6″ screen, 4GB in terms of space and weighs a pinch under 9 ounces.
- Kindle DX: The DX offers free 3G access for all users, has a 9.7″ screen, offers a 3 week battery life when wireless is off, as well as 4GB in storage.
- Kindle Fire: The newest model of the Kindle offers Wi-Fi access, a cloud-accelerated browser, 7″ vibrant color screen, 8GB of space and weighs approximately 14.6 ounces.
Tips to know:
- The Kindle allows a user to do many things that you can do with a normal book. You can lend your books, rent them from the library and even have an author sign them at a signing event digitally!
- Talk with your local library, or even check out their website to see which books are offered to rent. These books can be downloaded digitally from their website, and will be due back on the due date.
- The Kindle is more than just reading books. In fact, the newer Kindle such as the Fire allows the user to play movies, games and even check the weather on websites. The newer Kindle is very similar to the iPad in which you can download applications and more.
- Consider purchasing a Kindle with 3G access. This will allow you to access the 3G hotspots where you can access the web, download books and more without a contract.
How can I save money?
- You can purchase a refurbished Kindle for about 15% less than buying it new. These are available at Amazon.
- You can purchase a used Kindle for about 20-40% less than a new one.
- Also consider purchasing the Kindle with ads. This type can be purchased new, but it’s going to have ads that display at the bottom during certain times. By purchasing the ads version, it can save you at least $20 to $30.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|