How Much Does a Lionfish Cost?
A lionfish, also known as a Pterois, is known to be a venomous marine fish that is commonly found in the Pacific ocean. The lionfish is known for its spiky rays and the mixture of red, white, and black stripes of color. This fish is classified by nine different species and is very commonly found in salt water tanks or aquariums. The cost of a lionfish will greatly depend on the size of the fish, the breeder selling it, and its age.
How much is it?
- The price of a lionfish can greatly depend on the species that is purchased. On average, plan on spending anywhere from $25 to as much as $110 for the fish.
- For instance, a common species such as the Black Volitan Lionfish can retail for $$31 to as much as $88. The smaller the size of the fish, the cheaper it will be. A fish that measures one inch to three inches can fall within the $30 to $45 range, while a fish larger than seven inches can retail for $87 to $110.
- Another common species is the Devil Lionfish which can be sold for $27 to $65. Again, the length of the fish can greatly influence the price. A fish that is smaller than two inches can go for $27 to $35, while a larger fish over six inches can go for $50 to $65.
- Petco.com is a popular chain pet store that has a wide variety of lionfish available for sale. Their Devil Lionfish retails for $25 to $50.
What are the extra costs?
- Due to the nature of a lionfish, a saltwater tank that is larger than 55 gallons is highly recommended. See: “How much does a saltwater aquarium cost?“
- The diet of a lionfish is rather unique compared to other saltwater fish. Their diet can consist of smaller fish and even mollusks. Because of this, it is best to plan on spending anywhere from $35 to $100 per month on their food.
- If the fish has to be shipped, shipping fees will more than likely apply due to the complexity of shipping a fish.
What is going to be included?
- Growing up to more than 15 inches, the lionfish has vivid red, white and black colors and will add great appeal to any fish tank.
- Depending upon the breeder that is selling it, some often include things such as starter food, a guide on how to care for the fish, and more.
Tips to know:
- Lionfish are known to be a hazard to humans. Because of this, their venom has to be taken very seriously and should be handled with care. These fish tend to have a very hostile attitude, so it is best to know how to properly care for one if you are thinking about purchasing one.
- It is best to research the fish with which they can coexist in a tank. Since these fish often feed on smaller fish, you would not want to jeopardize your other fish.
- Due to the nature of the fish, a lot of swimming room will be required. As noted above, it is best to have a tank that is larger than 55 gallons.
How can I save money?
- If purchasing from a breeder or pet store, make sure that you research the breeder selling it. It is best to purchase from a reputable breeder so that you know you are getting a quality pet.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|