How Much Does a Marathon Cost?
A marathon is a long distance running event with the official distance measuring 26 miles. A half marathon, measuring 13 miles, is another event that can be organized by large companies.
How much is it?
- Prices for a marathon registration vary depending on the organizers. The average registration price for a marathon can be anywhere from $50 to $200. Half marathons and relays are generally cheaper than a full marathon.
- For example, a marathon event in Arizona can cost $30 to $180 for the full marathon event. They also offer a half marathon event for $35 to $85. One of the most prestigious running events is the LA Marathon. The LA Marathon commands a registration fee of $95 to $125. The marathon registration fee in New York can cost anywhere from $20 to $50. This marathon event will cover the whole Tri State area.
- A popular outdoor clothing provider holds a marathon event annually. Their registration fee is priced at $75 to $110.
What are the extra costs?
- There are additional events held within the timeframe the marathon event is held. This can include a social dinner which is can cost $8 to $20 per head.
- Good running shoes will be needed so you won’t injure your feet or knees during this long period of running. Running shoes can cost $45 to $125 per pair. Other equipment such as running socks and shorts may be necessary to ensure the maximum comfort level.
- Travel expenses such as a hotel, flight ticket, and car rental may be necessary if you’re going to run a marathon out of state.
What is going to be included?
- Since the event usually has a theme, organizers provide a free running shirt for both men and women upon registration. Other items may be handed out such as bracelets, pictures, drinks, and more. Check with the marathon’s website to see what is available as there may be different packages.
- Prizes are also provided to the winners of the event; these can be a medal, certificate, or even cash prizes.
How can I save money?
- Most organizers provide discounts as an incentive for those who register early. Take advantage of this as it can help you save up to $30 compared to registering closer to the event date.
- Coupon codes are also available online. These codes are printed and presented to the organizers which can help you save money as well. Search for coupon codes before registering.
- Check for free marathons. There are a lot of marathons that run strictly from charitable contributions.
- Some marathons offer great discounts to those that complete an early bird registration. With any event, the quicker you register for the event, the more you’re going to be able to save.
- For those that are going to work with more than one marathon, look for a group that run more than one. If you register for more than one, discounts can be provided as well.