How Much Does a Mink Coat Cost?
A mink coat is a coat that is made from the hide of a mink animal, a member of the weasel family. The cost of a mink coat will depend on the quality of the coat, the brand, the size and the store selling it.
How much is it?
- Some of the main factors that can influence the price tag of a mink coat can include the size of the coat, the quality, the manufacturer, and the colors.
- On average, a mink coat can vary from $100 to as much as $10,000 for an authentic coat that is made by a major designer. Lower-end mink coats often tend to have a “mink look” but are not made from an actual mink hide.
- Like clothing, designer labels can have a large influence on the price. For a higher-quality brand that is quite popular, it is not uncommon to see a mink coat fetch price tags that reach $20,000 or more.
- Dyed mink coats tend to be considered a lower quality coat, while a higher quality coat will not have the dye.
- On websites such as eBay, there thousands of listings that have mink coats available for purchase. While a majority of them are used, the average price tends to be within the $500 to $4,000 price range.
What are the extra costs?
- For higher-end coats that cost more than $5,000, the seller may often offer an appraisal to give you a true value of what the coat is currently worth.
- Since mink coats need to be handled with proper care, a mink coat will require special dry cleaning.
What is going to be included?
- A quality mink coat will have a pelt label on the interior of the coat. This label is going to ensure you that the coat has met certain standards. Look for pelt labels assigned by organizations such as the North American Fur Association, the American Legend Mink Cooperative, or the Saga Furs of Scandinavia.
Tips to know:
- A female mink is often going to have fur that is softer and lighter than a male mink.
- The average mink coat skin can last more than 20 years, making it one of the most durable skins on the market.
- Try to find out how much leather was included with the coat. Mink coats that have a lot of leather can often have less fur as well. It is also best to find out where the coat was made. Lower quality coats are made in countries such as China and are not comparable to the quality of mink coats made in countries such as the United States.
How can I save money?
- If you want to ensure that you are purchasing a legitimate fur coat, make sure that you meet with a furrier. These furriers are going to be able to match you with a quality coat that is made from higher-end, real fur.
- Since the real fur is going to be the most expensive, consider going with an artificial fur. From a distance, the coat will look the same; the cost, however, can be up to 80 percent less.