How Much Does a Miter Saw Cost?
A miter saw is a saw designed to make accurate crosscuts and miters.
How much is it?
- The price of a miter saw depends on the type; if it’s manual or powered; the brand; and where it will be purchased from. On average, a miter saw can cost anywhere from $140 to as much as $600.
- For example, the highly rated Hitachi C10FCE2 10-inch miter saw retails for $140 to $250. A 12-inch miter saw such as the DEWALT DW715 retails for $270 to $550.
- Rockler.com is an online retailer that sells different types of miter saws manufactured by several companies. A heavy duty miter saw can cost anywhere from $490 to $500. Another type of miter saw that has chop saw and keyless blade change system can run from $190 to $250.
- UNeedIt.com is another store that sells miter saws. Like other online stores, they carry different brands of miter saws that offer various features and capabilities. The price of the miter saw sold on this site ranges from $250 to $560.
What is going to be included?
- There are three types of miter saws on the market: a standard, compound and sliding compound.
- Standard – This miter saw will have a fixed vertical pilot with a rotating cutting table, allowing horizontal cuts while the blade remains in a vertical position.
- Compound – This saw has a rotating vertical pivot that allows the center head and blade to be tilted sideways. This allows for both vertical, horizontal and vertical cuts. Some compound miter saws are also dual action, meaning it can tilt both ways. Most, however, will be a single action, which means it can only tile to one side of the vertical, not both sides.
- Sliding – A sliding compound saw has horizontal sliding arms that allow cuts on wider boards. These saws can either be a single or dual action.
- Most miter saws are covered by a manufacturer’s warranty. The length of the warranty will depend on the manufacturer and will be anywhere from six to 12 months.
- Aside from the saw itself, most saws will include a blade wrench as well as the carbide blade attachments for the saw. Some miter saws may even include dust bags and a dust chute which help preventing a mess while in use.
What are the extra costs?
- Other types of saw attachments can be purchased. The accessories that are available will depend on the type and model of the saw your purchase.
- The usual blades can get worn out with a lot of use, and this will require a replacement. Replacement blades usually cost anywhere from $5 to $15.
- Many people choose to purchase a saw stand to make sawing easier. A saw stand that is built for a miter saw can range anywhere from $100 to as much as $500. This will all depend upon the quality.
- Mounting brackets, while optional, are often recommended for stands in order to secure the saw to a mount. The mounts can cost anywhere from $20 to $60.
Tips to know:
- As previously mentioned, miter saws can have varying power output. If you have projects that involve cutting thick types of wood, you may want to purchase a miter saw that can produce a higher power.
How can I save money?
- Stores that sell miter saws usually sell them at a discounted prices every once in a while. The reason for this is that the manufacturer supplies the product to different stores, and each store will mark up the price to make a profit. Compare prices among the different stores for a particular of miter saw and pick up the least expensive one.
- Another tip to save money is to lease the machine if you do not plan to use it regularly. By renting a miter saw, you are freeing yourself from added costs involving maintenance. You will be able to save money this way since you will only use the miter saw for a limited time at a fraction of the total cost when you buy a new one.