How Much Does a Miter Saw Cost?
A miter saw is one of the many innovations that has made carpentry easier and more convenient. Before the advent of tools such as these, every cut had to be done by hand, causing rougher edges and therefore less accurate measurements. The miter saw is considered a power tool and is used to make accurate crosscuts and miter joints. The miter saw is commonly used in framing rooms and cutting molding. The availability of these types of tools makes life so much easier for carpenters and for those who enjoy do it yourself projects.
How much is it?
- There are several types of miter saws as some of which can be operated manually. Other types of miter saws are powered automatically. The price of this tool depends on the type; the manual miter saws will be cheaper than the automatic type. Another reason why the price of the saw can differ is the power it can provide. On average, a miter saw can cost anywhere from $140 to as much as $600.
- For example, the highly rated Hitachi C10FCE2 10-inch miter saw retails for $140 to $250. A 12-inch miter saw such as the DEWALT DW715 retails for $270 to $550.
- Rockler.com is an online retailer that sells different types of miter saws manufactured by several companies. A heavy duty miter saw can cost anywhere from $490 to $500. Another type of miter saw that has chop saw and keyless blade change system can run from $190 to $250.
- UNeedIt.com is another store that sells miter saws. Like other online stores, they carry different brands of miter saws that offer various features and capabilities. The price of the miter saw sold on this site ranges from $250 to $560.
What is going to be included?
- Miter saws are covered by a manufacturer’s warranty. For this type of appliance, you will be given at least 6 months to 1 year of warranty; the length of the warranty will depend on the manufacturer and the quality of the tool.
- Aside from the machine itself, the package will include a blade wrench as well as the carbide blade attachments for the saw. Some miter saws may even include dust bags and a dust chute which help in preventing a mess in the workplace.
What are the extra costs?
- Other types of saw attachments can be purchased. The accessories that are available will depend on the type and model of the saw your purchase.
- The usual blades can get worn out with a lot of use, and this will require a replacement. Replacement blades usually cost anywhere from $5 to $15.
- Many people choose to purchase a saw stand to make sawing easier. A saw stand that is built for a miter saw can range anywhere from $100 to as much as $500. This will all depend upon the quality.
- Mounting brackets, while optional, are often recommended for stands in order to secure the saw to a mount. The mounts can cost anywhere from $20 to $60.
Tips to know:
- As previously mentioned, miter saws can have varying power output. If you have projects that involve cutting thick types of wood, you may want to purchase a miter saw that can produce a higher power.
How can I save money?
- Stores that sell miter saws usually sell them at a discounted prices every once in a while. The reason for this is that the manufacturer supplies the product to different stores, and each store will mark up the price to make a profit. Compare prices among the different stores for a particular of miter saw and pick up the least expensive one.
- Another tip to save money is to lease the machine if you do not plan to use it regularly. By renting a miter saw, you are freeing yourself from added costs involving maintenance. You will be able to save money this way since you will only use the miter saw for a limited time at a fraction of the total cost when you buy a new one.