How Much Does a Neon Sign Cost?
A neon sign uses an electrified tube light that contains rarefied neon as well as other various gases. These types of signs are most commonly seen in city centers such as Times Square in New York City. They can also be commonly found in various retailers and restaurants throughout the United States such as a bar, restaurant, etc. These are great for advertising as their bright colors and features attract the eye. The cost of a neon sign is going to depend on the size of the sign, what needs to be placed on it, the colors, as well as other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, a pre-made neon sign that has already been manufactured and created can cost anywhere from $25 to as much as $500 depending on what type of sign is purchased, dimensions and more. These would include signs such as “open” and “closed.”
- Rare neon signs that are collectibles can commonly reach far into the $1,000 price range.
- One of the most common neon signs are most often purchased by bar owners. These signs will display the beer company’s logo or just the word “beer.” A sign such as this one would cost anywhere from $50 to $200.
- For example, the “Beer Mug” neon sign manufactured by Neon Signs measures 9″ x 15″. This particular product retails for $30 to $45.
- Customized neon signs can cost anywhere from $200 to as much as $1,500. Many neon sign manufacturers can add logos, special colors, as well as wording. The average sign of a neon sign is 18″x24.” A customized sign that measures this length can cost $250 to $650.
- For example, the eCommerce based store NeonSign.com allows the customer to customize his own sign and view pricing right on the page.
What are the extra costs?
- Custom signs will cost more than a sign that has been manufactured. Plan on adding 20% to 50% more for a customized job.
- Due to the size of some neon signs, shipping fees may apply.
What is going to be included?
- The neon light is created when an argon gas is directly injected through a thin glass tube. This tube will then be bent to size to replicate a design or type of lettering. Most manufacturers will have limitations on how large or small a letter can be if customized.
How can I save money?
- For those that own a retail based business or even a bar, check with the local manufacturers to see if they can provide a sign at either no cost or at a heavy discounts. Brands see this is as a win-win since you will be advertising for them and it makes the area more noticeable for the owner.
- Consider looking at various sites such as Craigslist and eBay to see if there are any signs available at a discount. Many stores may go out of business or they may upgrade their equipment. This is a great way to save up to 75%. If going this route, make sure that the equipment works before using it.
- If purchasing in bulk, consider asking for discounts. Some business owners often need a handful of signs to open up a shop.