How Much Does a Padlock Cost?
One of the most viable ways to secure your room, locker, cabinets, or even your home or office doors is using a padlock. Padlocks are useful to prevent unauthorized access to your personal properties and other valued things. A padlock refers to a locking device made of heavy duty metal with curved shackle and a lock case or combination wheel. You may choose a keyed padlock or a combination padlock depending on your preferences. Some will also prefer a combination wheel padlock with key locks as well . This way, if you forget the combinations, you can use the key.
How much is it?
- Prices can vary due to the size, material composition, and the kind of padlock. Usually, padlocks with a combination wheel are priced a little bit higher which may range between $5-$10. Those with more combinations for better security are priced at the higher end of $10. The keyed padlocks’ price can be between $2 – $9.
- You can also find electronic padlocks and alarm padlocks for extra security that cost around $15 to $50. These padlocks can sound off a little alarm when the lock is tampered with.
What is going to be included?
- If you intend to buy a keyed padlock, there are 2-4 duplicate keys that will be included in the package for every single padlock purchased. Some also include the hasp.
- When you buy combination wheel padlocks, instructions for changing the combination will be provided.
- Depending on the padlock, some will require a key to be opened while others are going to require a simple combination. It’s best to either keep the combination or keys in your wallet or keychain to ensure that they are always around.
What are the extra costs?
- Aside from the possible handling or shipping fee when you buy online, buying padlocks does not necessitate the buyer to pay any extra costs.
- If you have not yet installed a hasp where your padlock will be placed, you need to buy one. Also, if you wanted someone to install it in your door, you will have to pay for installation.
- To safekeep your keys and to avoid misplacing them, you may opt to buy a sling for the key.
- If you happen to lose the key or the combination, a shim or bolt cutters will be required in order to open it.
- Additional keys that need to copied can cost extra depending on how many keys are required.
Tips to know:
- Most padlocks can be cut. If you’re worried about having the locks cut by a bolt cutter, it may be best to look into purchasing a special set that is prone to bolt cutters. These type of locks can be rather expensive.
- Steel is going to be the best material to purchase compared to brass as it will be a durable material that is less prone to cuts or being tampered with.
How can I save money?
- Like all other products, you can shop online to find padlocks offered at discounted prices.
- If you need more than one lock, buying in larger quantity may also offer you some savings.
- Sometimes, when you buy a set of padlocks, hasps are already included so you don’t need to pay an extra cost.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|