How Much Does a Parakeet Cost?
Parakeet is a term for any one of a large number of unrelated species of parrots. These are characterized by their long tail feathers. Parakeets are usually found in warm regions and they are typically found in large flocks. Parakeets have a lot of energy and are very social with each other and with people. They are mostly bred by their owners and are often sold once they multiply. The price of a parakeet depends on its specific breed, the breeder, and the age of the bird.
How much is it?
- On average, a parakeet can cost anywhere from $35 to $400. Cheaper parakeets can be found at your local pet stores such as PetSmart.
- For example, a normal scarlet chested parakeet can cost anywhere from $125 to $600. A rosy bourke can cost $75 to $110, while a Rubino female can cost upwards of $800.
- A company such as Birdsnow.com sells parakeets such as Indian ring neck, Houdini and Aphrodite parakeet sold for $100 to $600.
- Another company such as BirdBreeders.com sell parakeets in pairs that range from $150 to $450 per pair.
What are the extra costs?
- Most of the sellers are located in different regions in the United States and the birds may require shipping. For theses instances, shipping charges will be applied on top of the purchase price and it will depend on the distance of the seller to the buyer.
- Bird cages are necessary to provide proper habitat for the parakeets. Bird cages are sold in different sizes and the price starts at $80.
- Additional accessories, such as food and toys, and maintenance, such as a vet exams, will be required down the road. All of these things will cost extra.
What is going to be included?
- The price will include the parakeet itself and possibly papers showing the breed of the bird and the breeders.
- Some breeders may include a start up kit that includes toys, food and a cage.
Types of parakeets:
- Australian King
- Bourke’s Parakeet
- Mulga Parakeet
- Port Lincoln
- Princess of Wales
- Red Winged
Tips to know:
- These type of birds love to have other birds as company. If you’re going to purchase one, consider getting a cage full so that they can be socially interactive.
- Be sure to vary their food as parakeets can grow old of the same old bird seed. It’s best to look for treats and other healthier alternatives.
- Since these birds are rather playful, consider getting toys for them to play with in the cage. These toys can include anything from a simple swing to a bell that makes a noise.
- Never grab this bird, but instead allow it to walk onto your fingertip. By gaining your trust, these birds will do it with ease.
How can I save money?
- Locate a seller within your area to save on shipping costs. This will also allow you to choose from different sellers that offer the specific parakeet species for which you may be looking. This will also allow you to find parakeets offered at the lowest possible price.