How Much Does a Payphone Cost?
A payphone is a telephone that can be used by the public for a small charge. A payphone is usually located in a phone booth, and you need to insert a coin or slide a phone card before you can use the device. Payphones are mostly installed in transportation hubs where they can be easily reached by commuters who need to make phone calls. Although payphones are not as common with the advent of mobile phones and SMS, there are still payphones available all over the country and they have added additional services to attract people to use the device. The price for payphones depends heavily on the features the specific payphone has. There are payphones that are now capable of sending SMS as well as added features like internet kiosks.
How much is it?
- To use a payphone, they can average anywhere from $0.50 to $3 for the first few minutes, followed by $0.25 to $2 for each additional minute. Higher trafficked places such an airport are going to demand more money to use their payphones.
- For those that want to purchase a payphone, one can cost anywhere from $80 to as much as $500 depending on the brand, its age, and other factors. Antique phones can cost as much as $1,500 or more. Vintage payphones that no longer work can cost anywhere between $80 and $200.
- Weatherproof payphones that are capable to withstanding any type of weather can range anywhere from $200 to as much as $1,200. Modern day phones are going to cost a lot more than phones that are ten to twenty years older.
- For example, PayPhone.com sells different types of payphones that range from an armored coinless phone to a personal payphone and weatherproof payphone; these can cost anywhere from $200 to $500.
- A site such as PayPhoneOutlet.com offers collectible and antique phones that vary from coin operated to coinless pay phones. The price for their payphones ranges from $150 to $445.
What are the extra costs?
- For privacy and security concerns, a payphone requires an enclosure to be used publicly. Phone booth enclosures can cost anywhere from $100 to $500 or more depending on the size. Installation of a booth will cost extra.
- Enclosures that you need to purchase to protect the actual phone from weather conditions are also available for $155 to $175 for the enclosure itself; installation will cost extra.
- Additional parts may be required for used payphone purchases. Since payphones are rather rare today, the price for these parts can be rather high due to the rarity of the items.
- Some payphones require that the phone needs to be programmed. If these programs are required, software and setups can start at $25 and go up from there.
What is going to be included?
- Included with the payphone is the device itself, as well as the mechanism that makes the payphone work once a coin is inserted or a card is swiped.
How can I save money?
- To save on costs, try to buy the cheapest payphone that you can find. Just make sure that the phone’s quality is top notch so that you can use it for a long time. Consider purchasing from a reputable dealer online to ensure that maximum savings.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|