How Much Does a PCV Valve Cost?
The PCV valve, known as the positive crankcase ventilation, is a spring loaded valve in your car’s engine that is designed to limit the amount of air that comes from the crankcase into the intake manifold. This valve is usually located inside of the valve cover itself. A hose will connect to it, through which it will provide fresh air to ensure that the crankcase remains clean. The cost of one is going to vary depending on the brand, the type of car, and other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, the part alone will cost anywhere from $4 to $15.
- For example, the Fram FV299 retails for $4 to $7. The Beck Arnley 045-0262 retails for $5 to $7. Before you purchase a valve online, make sure that you have chosen the correct size valve. Ecommerce based stores such as Amazon will let you play around with their parts finder to ensure that the valve will fit your make and model.
- A local shop such as Advanced Auto Parts will have the parts commonly available for $5 to $10. For example, this PCV Valve for a Ford Windstar retails for $5.
- While the part is not that hard to install, many shops will be able to replace the old one for anywhere from $35 to $110. Keep in mind that some dealerships and shops may have a shop minimum. FamilyHandman.com showcases a simple step by step guide on how to replace the PCV valve in your car.
What are the extra costs?
- Professional installation will more than likely cost anywhere from $35 to $100 or more. Check with your manufacturer warranty to see if it covers a repair such as this. If the PCV went bad because of a malfunction, there is a good chance it could be covered at no cost.
- If you purchase the part through a dealer, or have it repaired at a dealer, you will probably pay a lot more than getting through a local auto parts store.
What is going to be included?
- A PCV valve is going to maintain your emissions system, allowing a clean airflow. The older one will be taken out and then replaced with a new one.
- If your car is in need of a tune up, many shops will replace the PCV valve as part of their checklist. Ask them if they will or if you are going to need one in the future. See: “How much does a car tune up cost?“
How can I save money?
- Installing a PCV is not that hard at all as mentioned above. Pick up a part at your local auto parts store for less than $15 and you can have it installed within a hour. If you feel uncomfortable doing it, ask a friend or family member who is capable.
- Consider avoiding your local dealership, unless you have some sort of warranty. With most car repairs, most car owners are going to be better off going to a local mom and pop repair shop up the road. It’s always wise to get at least three quotes before making a decision because you’ll find that the prices are going to greatly vary.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|